Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty and staff who will be on our campuses to be fully vaccinated and in compliance as a condition of employment. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
Widener University is currently seeking a part-time Campus Safety Officer to work the 2nd shift, on our main campus in Chester, PA. This role reports to the Lieutenant on duty, and provides support to all faculty, students and staff across campus.
This position requires officers to primarily walk for entire shift across the University and throughout buildings, properties and any designated area.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The department of Campus Safety holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
- Perform patrol based on assignment by supervisor, which include, but are not limited to: foot, vehicle, parking lots, residence halls, buildings, athletic fields, headquarters etc…
- Patrol university building and grounds; examines entrances, windows and internal doors to determine that they are secure
- Respond to reports of fire hazards, facilities malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities
- Notify dispatcher when police, fire or ambulance units are required
- Assist supervisors in campus safety investigations
- Prepare reports accurately and objectively detailing incidents on campus
- Escort university community members to/from buildings and parking lots
- Provide emergency transportation for university community
- Issue verbal warning to university community per specific protocols
- Issue campus parking tickets
- Maintain a friendly, helpful demeanor
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed
- Interact with local and state police officials at times
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a customer service or security related field
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to interact professionally with the public
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI clearances
- Ability to operate a computer, radio or equipment located in a vehicle or hand held
- Demonstrated ability to tactfully and effectively communicate (written and verbal) with the university community and colleagues
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to handle difficult situations tactfully
- Experience working at a school or university
- Familiarity with the local area and surrounding community
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Ability to walk for extended periods
- Ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings
- Ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather condition.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs
- Flexibility to work days, nights, weekends, special events, and holidays as needed
Qualified candidates must submit a resume for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation, and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive University, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the University, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.