Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty and staff who will be on our campuses to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
Widener University is currently seeking an Accounting Manager in Administration and Finance Unit. This role reports to the Assistant Controller and supports the mission of Widener University by ensuring the timely and accurate reporting and analysis of the financial operations of the organization to leadership. Working under the direction of the Assistant Controller and a variety of constituents, this role develops actionable prioritized plans and empowers team members to reach the organization’s financial reporting and financial audit goals. Additionally, this role will lead and scope projects, resources, and methods to reach those objectives. Working together with financial leadership, the Accounting Manager will provide expertise and recommendations related to accounting and reporting practices and procedures.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The Administration & Finance department holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment. Faculty and staff are active participants in our work to enhance diversity, equity, & inclusion.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Design, recommend, implement, maintain and monitor financial accounting and reporting processes, policies and systems. Continuously focuses on process improvements and simplification of financial accounting and reporting processes.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Review and approve journal entries to ensure accuracy and adequacy
- Monitor and assist with the implementation of new accounting standards applicable to the University
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of professional accounting and financial practices.
- Advance processes for monthly and other routine reporting to simplify report preparation and prioritize analysis.
- Design and maintenance of the general ledger, specifically around cash and other areas as needed
- Key member of financial close process. Prepares, reviews, and analyzes reporting and trend analysis. Identifies and documents fluctuations in University financials.
- Prepares, recommends, and maintains internal controls for the University’s financial operations
- Responsible for financial reporting related to the University’s treasury management activities including debt and cash and cash equivalents
- Oversee accounting for restricted funds including establishing cost centers in Colleague, evaluating overages and external reporting as needed.
- Supervises Accountant/Financial Analyst position
- Reconcile, review, and analyze financial statement line items as assigned
- Works closely with other departments across campus including but not limited to Advancement, Bursar, and Financial Aid
- Special projects and other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- Minimum five (5) years relevant progressive accounting experience
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated computers skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel including advanced functions
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including ability to present information to senior leadership
- Experience in higher education and/or non-profit accounting
- Working knowledge of Ellucian Colleague
- Certified Public Accountant
- Supervisory experience
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- This role may require periodic overtime as needed (quarterly and year-end closings etc.)
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.