Adjunct Engineer for aMDI - 12 Month Adjunct AP- College of Engineering & Computing
Job no: 492646
Work type: EAP - 12-Month Adjunct AP (Administrative Professional)
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Padnos College of Engineering & Computing
The applied Medical Device Institute (aMDI) within Grand Valley State University’s Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing invites applications for a Project Engineer (12 month Adjunct AP) position at the entry level. A highly motivated candidate is sought to fulfill a technical role on a medical device development team and to fulfill the project management roles in multi-disciplinary engineering teams in close collaboration with industry sponsors.
The candidate must support the full range of medical device development that begins with an idea. The idea, often in the form of a napkin sketch, must cross a ‘development-valley-of-death’. Med device development requires a broad range of science, engineering, and business resources. The applied Medical Device Institute (aMDI) serves the med device community as a means to cross the ‘development-valley-of-death’, by providing access to researchers, engineers, medical professionals, business and entrepreneurial expertise within an integrated process that includes technical, intellectual property, business review and mentoring.
Medical device engineering development experience and education is required. Of particular interest is project-based, immersive experience in the design, development, simulation, prototyping, and/or testing of engineered products, specifically in the medical device domain. Candidates should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and be committed to the highest quality of laboratory and project execution along with scholarly and professional development. The ability to be the technical lead of projects within one’s field, and ability to manage multi-disciplinary projects at the pace of industry. An ability to participate in and capitalize upon existing collaborations with our West Michigan industrial partners and a history of external funding are highly valued.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree with continuing progress towards completion of the Master’s degree within two years.
- The candidate should have multi-disciplinary experience in electrical, electronics, computer software, and mechanical engineering.
- The candidate must demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills and possess the ability to multitask in a fast-paced learning and teaching environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree
- A strong desire to work with diverse team composition of students, staff, and faculty in a highly technical environment.
- A knowledge of safety, machine tool experience, and security protocols in a laboratory or shop is preferred.
- Ability and experience to develop experimental and test protocols in support of projects.
- Supervisory experience is preferred with the ability to train and supervise additional support staff comprising up to 4 undergraduate and 4 graduate students.
- aMDI values candidates who demonstrate a commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching and an ability to work in a collaborative environment with a diverse population of colleagues, students, and industry sponsors.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Aiding principal investigators in the design, development, setup, and operation of laboratory experiments, as well as assist in teaching CAD/CAM and Manufacturing Processes
- Assisting with supervision of and providing technical support to graduate assistants and students hired for specific projects.
- Coordinating acquisition of components, equipment, and sub-systems associated with projects or aMDI core competencies.
- Instructing principal investigators, faculty and students on the safe and proper usage of equipment, testing equipment, plastic injection molders, and foundry equipment.
- Maintaining aMDI laboratories, facilities, supplies, reference materials, and project space, including procurement of supplies.
- Managing the aMDI laboratory facilities including logistics and maintenance.
- Responsible for consumables, supplies, service and maintenance operational budget.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Campus: Pew Campus
Department/Division: Padnos College of Engineering and Computing
Application Deadline Date: Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and click “Apply now”. Include a letter of interest or nomination and curriculum vitae. The online application system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, please phone Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend