Senior Academic Advisor - College of Community Public Service Advising Center
Job no: 492658
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Community & Public Service
This position primarily involves advising of undergraduate students in the College of Community and Public Service academic programs, including: criminal justice, hospitality and tourism management, legal studies, public and non-profit administration, and social work. Activities include acting as a resource for current students planning their degree programs, interacting with prospective students and their families, attending recruitment events, maintaining student records, and other duties as assigned by the Director of the CCPS Advising Center.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- A Master’s degree
- At least five years of demonstrated academic advising experience, preferably in a higher education setting. Demonstrated understanding of academic program planning and advising developmental theory with related experience.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- An understanding of and preference for collaborative approaches to planning and problem solving.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- A master’s degree in a related field (Student Affairs, Educational Leadership, or a field of study contained within the College of Community and Public Service)
- Understanding of student transition and success issues
- Familiarity with computer student information systems and web-based records and registration programs.
- Provide academic advising for students in CCPS programs (85%)
- Answer questions regarding degree requirements and curriculum
- Set up or review degree progress plans
- Assistance with course selection and registration questions or issues
- Assistance with understanding and following university policies and procedures
- Serve as a point of contact for anyone interested in CCPS programs
- Provide outreach and support to students in academic jeopardy
- Provide information regarding additional resources, programs, and services that will aid student success
- Referrals to the appropriate department or person for further assistance, when necessary
- Administrative Responsibilities (15%)
- Maintain student advising records
- Represent CCPS at recruiting events and college fairs
- Represent CCPS-UAC on committees and taskforces as deemed appropriate
- Support CCPS-UAC processes for student outreach, support, assessment, etc.
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience.
Department/Division: College of Community & Public Services
Campus: Grand Rapids
Application Deadline Date: September 24, 2017.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and click “Apply now”. Include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend