Assistant Bookstore Manager - Laker Store
Job no: 492786
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
A job function is essential when performance of the function is the REASON the job exists. A function may be essential when the number of employees available to perform the function is limited, the function requires specialized skills, the function occupies a large percentage of time and/or failure to perform the function may have serious consequences.
- Serve on the bookstore leadership team. Assist with strategic planning, business plan development and overall store management.
- Manage all front desk operations including scheduling, staffing and service desk functions and assist in coordinating staff and customer service on the main floor.
- Train and supervise employees while promoting and modeling stellar customer service.
- Maintain student employee records, authorize new employees, review and approve time cards.
- Monitor overall store security following established protocol, including: preventing, detecting and reporting incidents of retail fraud. Review video footage, alert other staff members regarding incidents, keep records, confront suspects, and report incidents to Public Safety.
- Screen student and temporary employees and conduct interviews or refer to other supervisors.
- Assist in conducting student employee orientations.
- Supervise daily reconciliation of cash drawers and coordinate with Financial Assistant to maintain change fund in cash office safe.
- Serve as backup to Financial Assistant to reconcile receipts and prepare cash reports and deposits.
- Assist in updating Financial Aid accounts. Oversee preparation of athletic scholarship orders.
- Manage PCI (Payment Card Industry) equipment checks and verify security.
- Manage commencement regalia orders for students and faculty: prepare requisitions, communicate with vendors, communicate with vendors and process invoices for payment.
- Review and respond (or forward) e-mails received in the GVSU Laker Store account.
- Supervise set-up of sales floor for book-rush and other high volume events.
- Manage coordination of store calendar and inventory of office supplies for the operation.
- Manage donation requests and fulfillment of donations based on established criteria.
- Serve as managing supervisor on selected evenings and weekends based on a rotating schedule.
Non-Essential functions are functions not mandatory to the existence of the job.
- Proven ability to function in a fast-paced retail environment including the ability to remain calm and provide exceptional customer service.
- A qualified candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership, communication and organizational skills.
- A qualified candidate will demonstrate flexibility, the willingness to adapt to a changing marketplace, and the ability to work as an effective team member.
Bachelor degree in Communications, Management or related field.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience in a retail environment.
- Experience in a college store environment.
Supervision of temporary staff and students.
Must be able to successfully meet the following GVSU Competencies: University Values, Quality of Work, Initiative, Communication, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Leadership, Intercultural Understanding and Awareness and Customer Service. For more information on GVSU Competencies, see http://gvsu.edu/hro/epdp
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Department/Division: GVSU Laker Store is an auxiliary function that operates within the Finance and Administration division and is wholly owned by Grand Valley State University as a service to our students.
Application Deadline Date: February 23, 2018
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Click “Apply to this posting.” Please include a cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts. The system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. For assistance, contact Human Resources at 616-331-2215
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend