Affiliate Faculty of Instruction - Economics (Seidman College of Business)
Job no: 493065
Work type: FAC - Affiliate Faculty of Instruction - One year/Academic Year
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Seidman College of Business
Position: One-year renewable, non-tenure track, Economics– Affiliate Faculty of Instruction position beginning Fall 2019. Initial appointment for one-year, with potential for one-year renewal for a second year, with potential subsequent three-year renewable appointments, dependent upon department need.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Applied Economics, or a Master's in Business Administration (or equivalent) with an emphasis in Economics.
- Evidence of professional engagement with non-profit or business community.
- Candidates must be committed to GVSU’s vision of inclusion and equity.
- Experience teaching economics courses at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness
- Relevant industry experience.
- Typical teaching load is 24 credit hours per academic year with a possible three (3) credit release of AACSB required research and service responsibilities.
- Effective teaching at an undergraduate level
- Provide service to the department, college, university, and community commensurate with rank and college accreditation requirements.
- Engage in research and professional activities commensurate with rank and college accreditation requirements.
Salary: Competitive with excellent fringe benefits (www.gvsu.edu/hro).
The University and Community: Grand Valley State University (GVSU) is a regional comprehensive state university of over 25,000 students which values and supports excellence in teaching, research, and service. The L. William Seidman Center is located on the Pew Campus of GVSU in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan’s second largest city and West Michigan’s economic, educational, and cultural center. The Grand Rapids community has been recognized by Fortune, Forbes, Industry Week, and others for its excellent business and family climate. Grand Rapids is a vibrant, exciting community with significant leisure time activities available.
The College: The L. William Seidman Center opened in 2013 and houses the Seidman College of Business which is fully accredited by AACSB International. Enrollment in Seidman is over 4,000 students, which includes over 300 Economics majors. The Economics Department consists of thirteen full-time faculty members. (www.gvsu.edu/economics/).
Deadline Date to File Application Materials: Review of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu to be considered, applicants must upload the following (in PDF format) to the online application:
- cover letter to include your teaching philosophy and engagement with the business community;
- resume to include both education and professional experience;
- an unofficial copy of highest degree transcript; and
- applicants should also include scholarly publications, student evaluations, and other evidence of teaching effectiveness.
On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Questions about this position may be directed to the Search Committee Chair: Dr. Leslie Muller at email@example.com. If you have questions or need assistance with the online system, call Human Resources, at (616) 331-2215. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend