Academic Advisor - Kirkhof College Nursing
Job no: 493155
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Kirkhof College of Nursing
Grand Valley State University is one of the West Michigan’s premier employers, with more than 3,500 faculty and staff members serving in a wide variety of essential and complementary roles. Our employees enjoy a vibrant and stimulating workplace that fosters professional growth while serving the university's mission of educating students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies. GVSU is located close to Lake Michigan in beautiful West Michigan with the Kirkhof College of Nursing housed in a new state-of-the-art facility located on the “Medical Mile” in Grand Rapids.
This position involves the recruitment and retention of undergraduate and graduate students in the Kirkhof College of Nursing (KCON). This advisor will assist students in the planning of their educational/career goals and foster a student-centered academic advising environment. A successful candidate will display a high level of professionalism; exhibit a strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence; and demonstrate initiative and flexibility to perform duties necessary to accomplish the goals of the department and the mission of KCON.
The essential functions of this position include:
- Provide academic and developmental advising to undergraduate students with an interest in earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN). This includes traditional BSN students, second degree students, and students in the RN/BSN program.
- Assist students with the highly competitive secondary admission process for the undergraduate programs while fully embracing KCON’s holistic admissions model.
- Provide appropriate referrals to academic departments, student support programs and other university resources as necessary to help students achieve their academic and personal goals.
- Provide an inclusive and welcoming approach to academic advising for all students.
- Work in partnership with overall university advising initiatives to support First Year Advising & Registration, transfer student orientations, student success activities (to enhance retention and on-time graduation), and communication across colleges/units.
- Actively participate in a recruitment plan that focuses on identifying qualified students with an emphasis on underrepresented student populations for all KCON programs.
- Plan and facilitate programs and presentations for prospective and current students.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Director of the Office of Student Services.
Responsibilities - Non-essential Functions
Required Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least one year of relevant experience in higher education
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, presentation planning, public speaking, and organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work both autonomously and as a key member of a collaborative team.
Preferred Qualifications and Education
- An earned Master's degree in an academic advising related field such as College Student Affairs, Adult & Higher Education, Educational Leadership, or Counseling is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of two years of higher education work experience.
- Professional experience in admissions and recruiting.
- Understanding and application of college student development and advising theory.
- A strong understanding and demonstrated desire for collaborative approaches to problem solving.
- Demonstrated understanding of student transition and success issues, especially with first-generation students and those who come from underrepresented populations.
- Familiarity with computer student information systems, advising tools, and web-based records and registration programs (Banner, OnBase, Appointment Manager, Educational Advisory Board, etc.)
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Kirkhof College of Nursing
Campus: Pew – Cook DeVos Center for Health Sciences, Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter, resume, a personal advising philosophy statement not to exceed 400 words, and list of three references. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend