Laboratory Technician - Padnos College of Engineering and Computing
Job no: 493156
Work type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Padnos College of Engineering & Computing
Job Summary: The School of Engineering within Grand Valley State University’s Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing and Center for Adult & Continuing Studies invites applications for a Laboratory Technician position. This position supports all the programs offered in the Padnos College of Engineering and Computing, which include undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, computing, and Occupational Safety and Health. This position supports the hands-on style of instruction in our Engineering, Computing and Occupational Safety and Health programs, support that encompasses assisting faculty and the students with design and build functions in the school laboratories and shops. The position provides remote and onsite technical, support services to faculty, staff and students at the Holland and Traverse City campuses and across the Center for Adult & Continuing Studies.
Padnos College of Engineering and Computing
- Assist with the organization and coordination of the freshman machine shops. Including, but not limited to: Keeping track of the tool and supply inventory, Mentoring freshmen engineering and graduate assistants in the lab, keeping the machines in working order. i.e. preventative maintenance, troubleshooting
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the manufacturing controls equipment (including sophomore level PLC stations)
- Assist with senior project builds
- Assist with the senior design conference
- Be an on-call person for equipment and/or facility repair
- Assist the School of Engineering Laboratory Supervisors with day-to-day tasks as needed
- Assist the Padnos College of Engineering and Computing's network administrators with day-to-day tasks as needed
Center for Adult & Continuing Studies:
- Administers Community college partners user accounts at the Holland campus
- Acts as a liaison with Traverse City technical staff and identifies and communicates technical issues and needs
- Maintains inventory of computers, supplies and other technology related equipment.
- Assists Director in the development of the annual technology budget.
- Identifies equipment malfunctions, trouble shoots problems and performs minor repairs and routine maintenance.
- Assembles, installs, repairs and maintains microcomputers, audio visual, and other similar electronic equipment including replacing hard drives and internal components, reimaging lab and office computers
- Set up special functions and events.
- Assist maintenance personnel in identifying broken or hazardous equipment or fixtures.
- Be aware of building safety and notify appropriate people when problems are spotted.
- Assist faculty and staff with unloading of supplies at the loading dock.
- Unload trucks.
- High school graduate supplemented by a certificate from a two year technical program and/or relevant experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience repairing or maintaining laboratory instruments (including computers).
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment including standard wood and metal shop equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- This position requires periodic heavy lifting.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of basic safety procedures dealing with shop tools and electrical instruments and with the sciences.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to PSS staff members within the department/unit/division.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: T4 Level. Minimum starting salary of $22.71
Campus: Grand Rapids
Application Deadline: September 3, 2019
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend