User Support Specialist - Padnos College of Engineering and Computing/Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence
Job no: 493174
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Ctr for Scholarly & Creative Excellence, Padnos College of Engineering & Computing
Summary:Grand Valley State University’s Seymour and Esther Padnos College of Engineering and Computing (PCEC) and Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence (CSCE) invites applications for the position of User Support Specialist. The Administrative Professional position will provide second level support of users, software, hardware, and remote desktop technologies for the GVSU High Performance Computing environment.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Excellent customer-facing skills including conflict resolution
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent training skills
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Able to prioritize and balance competing needs
- Experience with support of computer labs and remote desktop environments
- Works independently with minimal immediate direction
- Exhibits extensive troubleshooting, research, and diagnostic skills
- Ability to diagnose BYOD security, including antivirus, personal firewalls, OS patching, and hardening
- Works well within a team
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Provide first and second level support for computer hardware and software issues. Problem resolution will involve telephone assistance, remote support, and/or one-on-one support as appropriate
- Maintain and manage the support web system
- Manage the support processes of hardware and software needs in a variety of computing platforms (Windows, Macintosh, and/or Linux)
- Coordinate efforts with HPC team to plan, configure, deploy, upgrade, and troubleshoot computing needs in the PCEC/CSCE environment.
- Oversee support of computer labs and virtual desktop infrastructure
- Document and create user accessible FAQs for distribution of HPC procedures, standards, and best practices related to troubleshooting, maintenance, installations, and deployments
- Create training materials (written and video) based on environment support needs
- Offer classroom-style and one-on-one training sessions to GVSU faculty/staff
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Department/Division: Padnos College of Engineering and Computing Dean’s Office and Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence
Campus: Grand Rapids and Allendale
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend