Administrative Assistant - College of Community and Public Service Dean's Office
Job no: 493195
Work type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Community & Public Service
Act as a general assistant to the Dean(s) of the College of Community and Public Service, performing non-routine office functions which substantially contribute to the college’s goals and objectives.
- Assists Dean or Associate Deans in carrying out the office’s operational responsibilities.
- Responsible for specific projects/programs conducted by the unit whether self-initiated or initiated by the Dean(s) which may involve planning and coordinating work, analyzing data, preparing reports, making recommendations and other duties associated with the successful completion of a project/program.
- Performs administrative work of a confidential nature for the Dean(s).
- Compiles and logically formats statistical data and reports for decision making.
- Maintains, processes and manipulates data on a personal computer using word processing, data base and spreadsheet software.
- Coordinates and helps market various events, including both internal and external special events and functions.
- Edits correspondence, reports and materials for publication.
- Develops, prepares, and/or composes responses and correspondence requiring research, judgment and discretion; routinely writes, edits, and submits materials for internal/external communications.
- Maintains and analyzes a set of complex budgetary records by performing bookkeeping related duties such as reconciling, monitoring, making, and tracking expenditures, preparing budget statements regarding the status of accounts, making recommendations as to projected budgets.
- Conducts on a recurring basis self-initiated or Dean initiated projects and prepares reports.
- Acts with high degree of independence as liaison with inside and outside contacts and in preparing meeting materials, minutes, programs, updates, recruiting, and other support functions related to work area.
- Assists faculty and staff with administrative problems or concerns.
- Coordinates employment search processes.
- Coordinates annual teaching schedule with Unit Heads (or their designate) to ensure timely submission of classes to Registrar’s Office.
- Provides information to students and prospective students of a complex nature, as well as to outside agencies, visitors, etc.
- Acts as a liaison for the college in situations outlined by the Dean(s).
- Originates correspondence, contracts and appointment letters, reports, and other materials.
- Responsible for scheduling appointments which may include the Dean(s) ‘calendars, special events, divisional events, and academic scheduling.
- Compile data and materials for presentations and proposals.
- Offer a high level of customer service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead PSS of office to maintain overall professional and positive atmosphere in office. Regular communication with professional support staff to maintain strategic and balanced workload.
- Supervises and helps train student employees.
- Process various university forms.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills.
- Experience with various computer software applications such as Microsoft Office and/or equivalent.
- Data entry experience.
- Typing and spelling competency with grammar and proofreading skills.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully coordinate large projects.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in a supervisory role or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated experience to handle complex budget records and assist with financial concerns.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully navigate challenging situations in the workplace, while using good judgement.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Ability to maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in Higher Education.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use a variety of computer software applications including OnBase, Banner, and Digital Measures.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work with external public on behalf of the Dean(s) and the college.
- Demonstrated experience working with the annual class scheduling process.
- Supervisory experience.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and act as lead worker to other PSS staff members within the department/unit/division.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: C5 Level. Minimum starting wage of $21.24
Campus: Grand Rapids
Application Deadline: September 18, 2019
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. On the application you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend