Special Projects Coordinator - Vice Provost for Health
Job no: 493200
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Battle Creek
Categories: Vice Provost for Health
*** This a 5 year grant funded position and continuation will be dependent upon grant funds.***
Required Qualifications and Education: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of one year experience working within a K12 and/or higher education setting. Demonstrated experience assisting students and adults from traditionally under-served backgrounds including, but not limited to first generation, low-income, ethnically diverse and/or persons with disabilities, to identify career opportunities, the process to investigate and develop a plan to achieve. Project management experience. Strong communication and organizational skills. Ability to work both autonomously and as a member of a team that includes external partners. Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Preferred Qualifications and Education: An earned Master's degree, particularly one in an academic advising related field (College Student Affairs, Adult & Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Counseling, etc.). One year of demonstrated academic advising experience in higher education. Understanding of student transition and success issues, especially with first-generation. Understanding of trauma informed approaches for teaching and advising. Experience with recruitment and orientation of new students. Experience building partnerships with community colleges and other higher education institutions. Familiarity with computer student information systems and web-based records and registration programs (Banner, Degree Works, OnBase, etc.).
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Conduct project management for Regional Center programs and events, including, but not limited to, summer camps and grant projects
- Facilitate grant related activities including data collection, analysis and project evaluation
- Assist Director to track budgets for grant related activities
- Provide full breadth of advising services to community members who present to the Battle Creek Regional Center, and para-professionals with an interest in career advancement:
- Assist with identification and exploration of career areas of interest
- General academic advising
- Provide information on academic requirements of programs, pathways and ladders to meet identified needs, including available support services and how to access
- Assist with understanding financial aid options and application process
- Assist with and/or coordinate assistance with enrollment process, including application, essays and interviews.
- Facilitate information sessions, either in person or via video-conference, with appropriate campus representatives
- Represent GVSU at school and community events
- Serve as liaison between GVSU and the Battle Creek Community, Battle Creek Public Schools and other schools in the area as requested by Director.
- Provide information to high school and community college counselors and advisors on GVSU academic programs, admissions requirements and processes, student support services and opportunities as requested by the Director.
- Provide support for university initiatives related to the Battle Creek region to increase student retention, persistence and success.
- Serve as a liaison to GVSU programs.
- The Special Projects Coordinator will split their time between advising activities and project management.
- Periodic travel in the state of Michigan, including to Grand Rapids and Allendale, will be required.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Director of Community Engagement and the Vice Provost for Health.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and degree
Department/Division: Office of the Vice Provost for Health
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Application Deadline Date: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend