Secretary - Vice Provost for Health
Job no: 493201
Work type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Location: Battle Creek
Categories: Vice Provost for Health
*** This a 5 year grant funded position and continuation will be dependent upon grant funds.***
Grand Valley is stepping into the Battle Creek community. Recognized by Forbes as the #2 Best Place to Work in Michigan, GVSU is committed to bringing on great team members. Showing meticulous attention to detail and a strong customer service approach, the Secretary for the GVSU Outreach Center will provide direct support to the Director of Community Engagement as the team begins to establish the Outreach Center.
- Will provide direct support to the Director of Community Engagement and the Career Navigator, as well as other staff members as required.
- Generates a variety of materials such as reports, memorandums, correspondence, and forms using computer systems.
- Proofread and correct materials; edits grammatical errors.
- Performs secretarial duties such as receiving visitors, answering the telephone, taking messages.
- Receives, opens, routes mail and may compose responses to standard inquiries.
- Maintains filing and/or database and record keeping systems on paper and/or computer.
- Prepares reports which may require compiling and computing statistical data.
- Disseminates information which may require explanation and interpretation of the university/departments/divisions’ policies and procedures including limited student advising.
- Acts as a liaison between department supervisor and department staff and/or campus and Battle Creek community.
- Provides calendar support and arranges for use of the conference room.
- Prepares and processes various university forms.
- Maintains records by performing duties such as monitoring, tracking expenditures, and preparing statements for distribution regarding the status of records, lists, or accounts.
- Answer or refer inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and the general public regarding established policies and procedures; answer routine inquiries; and schedule appointments and meetings, facilities and events.
- Establish and maintain filing and recordkeeping systems.
- Inventory and order supplies.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Makes and confirms travel arrangements.
- Takes, transcribes and distributes departmental meeting minutes.
- Reviews budget reports and reconciles the reports with the department/office’s records.
- Coordinates special events.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years relevant work experience.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to provide quality customer service.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Typing and spelling competency.
- Experience with various computer software applications.
- Data entry experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience in higher education.
Receives supervision and work assignments from a designated supervisor, although other staff members in the unit may provide work direction.
May be responsible for the coordination of work assignments for student employees.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Department/Division: Office of the Vice Provost for Health
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Salary: C2 Level. Minimum starting wage of $16.12
Application Deadline Date: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend