Adjunct Women’s Ice Hockey Club Head Coach - Recreation and Wellness
Job no: 493292
Work type: EAP - Less than 12-Month Adjunct AP (Administrative Professional)
Categories: Student Services
The GVSU D1 Women’s Ice Hockey program prides itself in a tradition of excellence with 6 national tournament appearances since the team was founded in 2007. The team also won the CCWHA playoffs in 2016 and finished as runner-up at nationals in the same year.
The Head Coach is responsible for organizing and planning all practices as well as managing personnel and providing leadership and structure to student-athletes. Coaches are expected to attend all home and travel to all away competitions. Duties for the position throughout the year include, but are not limited to: recruiting both on and off campus, being aware and complying with ACHA policies and procedures, communication with the club’s e-board about scheduling, budgeting, and planning. The hockey season operates from the end of August to the beginning of March.
- Previous ice hockey coaching experience.
- Strong leadership, management, and communication skills.
- Reliable method of transportation.
- A current American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED certification, or the ability to obtain one before the season begins.
- Knowledge of ACHA policies, procedures, and requirements.
- USA Hockey coaching certification or ability to acquire before the start of the 2020-2021 season.
- Strong ties to the local hockey community.
- Ability to recruit athletes to GVSU and utilize resources on campus.
- Plan, develop, and attend weekly practices and preseason activities.
- Schedule all home and away competitions.
- Establish a culture of success and structure that reflects the mission, vision, and values of the department of Recreation & Wellness and compliance with Club Sport policies and procedures.
- Advise and mentor club E-board to ensure Club Sport requirements are being fulfilled.
- Oversee the hiring and supervision of all assistant coaches and volunteer coaches (if any).
- Communicate effectively with the ACHA, student-athletes, opposing teams, and Recreation & Wellness Administration.
This temporary position is part-time with an annual stipend of $7,500. Transportation and lodging for away events provided by the team. Funding for the hire of an assistant coach is also available. This position does not include benefits, and is renewable each year.
Recreation and Wellness
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should email resumes, with hockey specific information included, and at least three references to the Associate Director of Campus Recreation, Mike Przydzial at email@example.com. All inquiries into this position can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-331-3212.
Please note that the annual stipend amount will be determined based on the start date to complete the 2019-2020 season.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend