Total Rewards HR Operations Payroll Assistant - Human Resources
Job no: 494136
Position type: PSS - Confidential Professional Support Staff
Categories: Human Resources
As part of the payroll team, within the Total Rewards HR Operations Center this role aids in the processing, scheduling and reviewing of the bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll, is responsible for the maintenance and administration of timekeeping software and the Payroll website along with social media. This person must interpret and understand University policy along with federal, state and local tax regulations in order to calculate and process accurate and on time payrolls.
- Processing, scheduling and reviewing bi-weekly and semi-monthly payrolls. Including maintaining the Payroll Calendar and updating other departments involved in payroll processing.
- Oversee day to day maintenance of Timekeeping System. This includes troubleshooting time clocks and mobile apps.
- Daily supervision, scheduling, training and mentoring of student employees
- Oversee scanning projects and set up of new forms in Onbase electronic storage system.
- Handle adjustments and time entry review for all employment classifications.
- Provide outstanding customer service
- Interpret federal and state tax laws in order to answer questions and aid in the processing of W-2 and W-4 forms
- Understand and process complex union contract agreements as it pertains to payroll.
- Calculate paychecks manually from gross to net.
- Calculate and administer overpayments.
- Maintain an understanding of compliance for child support, bankruptcy orders, garnishments and tax levies.
- Primary person for writing basic custom ad-hoc payroll reports.
- Provides backup for other payroll team members during vacations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of four years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills.
- Minimum of four years related work experience in processing payroll with 300 or more employees.
- Proficient in payroll processing software
- Knowledge and understanding of IRS, DOL, and Social Security regulations pertaining to payroll
- Possess strong technical skills working with different types of software and social media.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use Microsoft Office software including excel and work.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others (students).
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Higher education experience.
- FPC or CPP Designation.
- Supervisory experience.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to PSS staff members within the department/unit/division.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: C-4 Level. Minimum starting wage of $20.17 per hour.
Job Type: 12 Months Full-time
Department/Division: Payroll/Human Resources/Business and Finance
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend