CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Analyst/Programmer (Foundation or Career Level)
UNION CODE: R09
PAY PLAN: 12-month
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE: Foundation $3,713 - $7,149; Career $4,678 - $11,547
PAY BASIS: Monthly
BENEFITS: CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays per year and more! See our benefits website for additional information.
CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY: Open to all qualified applicants
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT: Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested and telecommute as scheduled).
FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION, applications must be received by October 25, 2022; however, the position will remain open until filled.
The skill level that the successful applicant(s) will be placed in is dependent on the qualifications of the finalist(s).
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com] and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
POSITION PURPOSE: Within Information Technology Services (ITS), the Infrastructure Services group provides CSUB's central computing infrastructure which is comprised of both Linux and Windows systems in a physical and virtual server environment. The group is responsible for a variety of items which include the identity management infrastructure, federated identity infrastructure, account management, online directory services, network infrastructure, telecom infrastructure, and the data center infrastructure. The Automation Architect and Special Projects team member, under direct to general supervision of the Deputy Chief Information Officer, is responsible for implementing a variety of systems and IT infrastructure related items.
The Automation Architect team member will be part of our Data Center and security team in our Infrastructure Services group, establishing best practices around DevOps, creating an automated tool stack for securing and deploying code across multiple environments in a testable manner. The incumbent will initially start and implement the DevOps environment picking and using any combination of tools from any number of systems such as Jenkins, Airflow, Terraform, and Ansible to orchestrate and configure instances. The Automation Architect will develop innovative solutions to complex business problems and will work to maintain and document the environment. Additionally, the incumbent will be asked to lead a variety of large projects that originate within Infrastructure Systems and may require the ability to work with multiple people across teams and disciplines.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Engineering, Implementation, and Maintenance of DevOps Systems
- Perform a detailed analysis to understand the various source systems to support the development of data maps and to implement DevOps processes.
- Establish, implement, and enforce architecture and DevOps standards.
- Evaluate and select best usage of test automation tools for different purposes.
- Develop and oversee implementation of strategies to move data between on-prem and cloud solution to create a hybrid solution.
- Define and implement test automation strategies, tools, framework, and approach.
- In coordination with the Security team, ensure the environment is designed and secured in line with security requirements from the CSU and from CSUB.
- Participate actively and provide support in all business continuity and disaster recovery efforts.
Systems Integrations and Log Administration
- Develop and maintain services used in application integrations.
- Design integrated solutions in accordance with best practices.
- Work with teams to architect, design, build and implement application integrations.
- Build reports and/or extract data to support business analysis.
- Coordinate with business users and business analysts to best understand and analyze business specifications.
- Provide technical assistance to troubleshoot and resolve integration errors.
- Administer logging systems.
- Transform log data for reporting systems.
- Administer Linux based systems through their full lifecycle.
- Define and manage access rights.
- Maintain system patches in accordance with security requirements.
- Secure systems based on CSUB security and industry best practices.
Metric Development, Reporting, and Documentation
- Create detailed data maps and workflows for all DevOps and System integrations.
- Create knowledge base (KB) articles that instruct others on how to perform automation tasks.
- Create topology maps for systems implemented.
- Define and publish key performance metrics for DevOps implementations and automation testing.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE –
Foundation Level – Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems, Engineering, or a related field. An equivalent combination of related education and work experience in a relevant field discipline will be considered.
Career level – Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems, Engineering, or a related field. An equivalent combination of related education and work experience in a relevant field discipline will be considered. Minimum of two (2) years (within 3 years) of full-time related experience in computer science, computer information systems, information systems, engineering, or related technology setting, preferably within an academic environment.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, CREDENTIALS: Possession of a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA’s) –
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Ability to use systems workflow and logic flowchart techniques.
- Knowledge of formal data flow analysis methodologies.
- Ability to apply and use operations analysis and structured design analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of campus-defined systems, applications, and standards.
- Ability to identify hardware/software interface problems.
- Knowledge of system/equipment capability, design restrictions, and security requirements.
- Knowledge of system development life cycle and structured systems development concepts.
- General knowledge of network connectivity, integration, configuration, and protocols.
- Understanding of and ability to integrate all systems including operating systems, applications, network, and databases, as well as knowledge of distributed processing technology.
- Knowledge of client/server technologies.
- Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and communicate technology systems and solutions.
- Ability to perform systems and applications needs analysis, prepare requests for proposals, and conduct feasibility studies.
- Ability to use project management tools.
- Ability to research and evaluate the functionality of vendor software to meet user needs, assess vendor proposals, and serve as a technical/vendor liaison.
- Experience with integrating cloud systems with in-house enterprise grade systems.
- Highly skilled within DevOps and being able to run a variety of projects to completion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cloud systems (i.e., AWS and Azure).
- Broad understanding of unit testing, integration testing, source code control versioning, code automation, and code branching.
- Understanding of scripting languages.
- Experience with logical modeling, logical to physical model rationalization, and analysis of supporting business requirements.
- Knowledge and skills in operating systems programs, maintenance, and systems administration.
- Knowledge of internal operating system technology, computer operations and hardware, and network communications theory.
- Ability to use operating system languages as defined by the campus and ability to perform systems level programming in a distributed, network environment.
- Ability to use performance monitoring software and interpret results.
- Ability to perform preventative and remedial maintenance to operating system(s).
- Ability to evaluate existing and proposed systems and recommend upgrades and/or modifications.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work overtime (Foundation – level), occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Ability to translate business requirements into data and application architecture is required.
- Experience with Ansible, Nagios, and/or Python.
- Experience working on enterprise level projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ITIL or ITSM principles.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: LIGHT WORK – involves mainly sitting, up to 25% standing or walking; lifting medium weight objects limited to 25 pounds.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Is exposed to excessive noise and drives motorized equipment.
SCREENING: Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and interest in the position.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION: It shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized skills and abilities that are not available from current employees.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
SENSITIVE POSITION: Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
MANDATED REPORTER: Limited: The person holding this position is considered a limited mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017.
GENERAL INFORMATION: It is the policy of California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
EEO STATEMENT: California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.