The Food Science and Nutrition Department in the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, is seeking a full-time, academic year, tenure‐track Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor starting September 16, 2024. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The successful candidate is expected to have a Food Safety and/or Microbiology background and demonstrate expertise in the application of these topics to address industry or government needs to ensure a safe food supply. The candidate’s primary teaching contribution will be in courses related to Food Safety, Food Microbiology, Quality, Prerequisite Programs, Sanitation, and other related courses.
In addition to teaching, the successful candidate is expected to lead research teams, coordinate and build integrated multidisciplinary projects engaging campus-wide collaborators, governmental, industry, community partners including commodity boards. Advising, mentoring and involving undergraduate and graduate students in hands-on-learning and research activities, and publishing results in peer reviewed journals will be expected. Service activities will include participation in and leading effort in department, college, and university committees and instructionally related activities. The candidate will be expected to participate in curriculum development and program assessment and development. The candidate will contribute effectively to food safety-related professional societies at the local and national levels.
Grade and salary commensurate with education and experience of the individual selected. Anticipated hiring ranges:
Assistant Professor: $82,000-$90,000
Associate: $90,504 -$99,000
Full: $101,496 -$115,000
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Earned doctorate in Food Science, Microbiology, Dairy Science, or other closely related field to Food Safety. Candidates nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered, but must provide proof that the doctorate was completed prior to the start of appointment.
- Knowledge and expertise in the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). Ability to teach the curricula developed by the Produce Safety Alliance and the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance.
- Experience and commitment to quality student-centered hands-on teaching and learning, both undergraduate and graduate.
- Evidence of potential to develop a successful academic research program at Cal Poly involving undergraduate and graduate students (MS level), including external funding and publications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with proficiency in the use of the English language.
- Demonstrated ability to collaboratively work in multidisciplinary settings.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in teaching, research, and/or service.
- Post-doctoral research experience in research related to Food Safety
- Experience in post-harvest Food Safety
- Experience in integrating modern molecular tools and genomic analysis to develop novel research that can be blended into the curriculum
- Food Safety relevant industry experience
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals as lead or corresponding author
- Teaching experience at a university as the instructor of record
- Evidence of funded grants as PI or Co-PI for university research
Preference will be given to those with experience in working with diverse populations and fostering a collaborative, supportive and inclusive environment. Preference will also be given to those with relevant work experience and those who bring professional capabilities.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU related work outside of California. It is also expected that tenure-line faculty establish an on-campus presence to fulfill their responsibilities.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Food Science and Nutrition Department has 12 full-time faculty, numerous part-time faculty, support staff, and approximately 600 majors. FSN offers two majors - Nutrition and Food Science. The department hosts a dynamic and innovative Food Science program that encourages national as well as international perspectives on teaching and research. The Food Science curriculum includes two concentrations: Advanced Food Science and Culinology. The Advanced Food Science is approved by the Institute of Food Technologists and the Culinology concentration is approved by the Research Chef Association.
The FSN department has 6 new laboratories in the Boswell Ag Tech Center, a centerpiece of Cal Poly’s new $125 million William and Linda Frost Center for Research and Innovation building, which will enable research and discovery to train tomorrow’s leaders in agriculture and food innovation (https://cafesbuilds.calpoly.edu/boswell-ag-tech-center/). One food safety teaching laboratory and one food safety research laboratory are amongst the 6 laboratories and will allow for a variety of research efforts.
HOW TO APPLY
Review will begin on October 14, 2023. Applicants are encouraged to submit materials by October 13, 2023, for full consideration; however, applications received after this date may be considered. Interested candidates must complete the online application and attach:
- a cover letter addressing how the candidate meet the required and preferred qualifications
- resume/curriculum vitae
- unofficial transcripts of the highest degree
- statement of teaching philosophy
- goals and plans for research
- a statement describing the candidate’s experience(s) with diversity, equity, and inclusion and how their experiences have prepared them to advance Cal Poly’s commitment to inclusive excellence (https:// diversity.calpoly.edu/inclusive-excellence)
- at least three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application.
The selected candidate will be required to provide sealed official transcripts prior to appointment.
Inquiries can be directed to the chair of the search committee, Dr. Amy Lammert at email@example.com.