Mihaylo College of Business and Economics
Department of Economics
Assistant or Associate Professor
The Department of Economics at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant or Associate Professor position(s) in Economics with a specialization in the fields of Health Economics or Environmental Economics with appointment to begin Fall 2020.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline, and the development of courses in their area(s) of specialization. Specific courses that this person will teach include applicable field courses, econometrics, and microeconomics at the undergraduate and master’s level. Faculty responsibilities also include contributing to the supervision of undergraduate and graduate research. This person will also be responsible for producing scholarship / creative work commensurate with the requirements for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities.
- Ph.D. in Economics with an emphasis in either Health Economics or Environmental Economics
- A strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues and community
- Demonstrated commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching of a very diverse student population, including first‐generation college students
- familiarity with the R programming language
- teaching experience with full course responsibilities
A complete online application must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to complete the required online Fullerton application, apply to requisition #494324, and provide the following required materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- research statement and sample research paper (submit as a single pdf)
- teaching statement and evidence of teaching effectiveness, e.g. teaching philosophy, syllabi, teaching evaluations, classroom observations (submit as a single pdf)
- candidate diversity statement
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of the diversity statement is to help departments identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- All applicants will be required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into your applicant portal.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Robert Mead, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 657‐278‐4479.
Review of applications will begin on November 18, 2019 and will continue until the position has been filled. The anticipated appointment date is August 24, 2020.
The College and Department
Composed of over 20 tenured and tenure-track faculty and housed in the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics, the Department of Economics offers both BA and MA programs in Economics and in Business Administration with an Economics concentration. We seek diverse faculty members who have a strong, ongoing commitment to research and publication in high‐quality journals.
Located in one of the most vibrant and entrepreneurial business communities in the United States, Mihaylo College of Business and Economics at California State University, Fullerton is the largest accredited business school on the West Coast, nationally recognized for accreditation in both its business and accounting programs.
Mihaylo provides a world-class business education, offering graduate and undergraduate programs that integrate classroom education with best business practices, technology, award-winning research, functional applications, and real-world experience. Our network of more than 60,000 alumni and business partners are the driving force of Southern California business.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.