Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering and Computer Science
The Department of Computer Science at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF), invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant Professor position in Computer Science with an appointment to begin Fall 2022. Applicants in all areas of Computer Science will be considered.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF is the third-largest university in California (in student headcount) and largest in the California State University (CSU) 23-campus system. It serves the Southern California region, in particular Orange County, playing a major role in the economic, social and educational development of its large service area. CSUF offers 55 undergraduate degree programs and 55 graduate degree programs – including doctorates in education and nursing practice. The Department of Computer Science offers bachelors and masters programs and is the largest department in the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline, and their area(s) of specialization, and leading an active research program commensurate with the requirements for tenure and promotion. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field
- A strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues and community
- Demonstrated commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching of a very diverse student population, including first‐generation college students
A complete on‐line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to apply for requisition #504584, and provide the following required materials:
- Cover letter in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Research statement
- This statement should address recent and current research; possibilities of your research to catalyze innovation into the field; potential funding that your research could bring to the department, as well as any laboratory equipment and/or space that you will need.
- Teaching statement
- This statement should address all courses you have taught in the past, if any, and future courses you would like to teach and develop. It should also briefly discuss your teaching philosophy.
- Candidate diversity statement
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of the diversity statement is to help departments identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- Finalists will be required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into your applicant portal.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unofficial copies accepted until appointment, submitted as a single PDF)
- Transcripts are to be uploaded in the document upload section of the application under other documents.
Please direct all questions about the position to the department chair: Dr. Chang-Hyun Jo at email@example.com or call 657‐278‐3700.
To ensure full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 8, 2021. The anticipated appointment date is August 15, 2022. Review of applications will begin on November 8, 2021, and will continue until the position has been filled.
The College of Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse community through increasing the number of historically underrepresented students in the college and recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff. We are home to more than 4,600 talented undergraduate and graduate students, with 35.9% Hispanic and 1.5% Black or African American students. Each year we award approximately 1,080 undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering and the computer sciences. ECS is one of only two ABET Accredited engineering programs in Orange County, California. US News & World Report ranks ECS as one of the “Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs” at schools where a doctorate is not offered. ECS is dedicated to educating and preparing professionals to harness the power and potential of the engineering sciences for the benefit of society. For more information about the college, please go to http://www.fullerton.edu/ecs/.
The Department of Computer Science is the largest in ECS and offers a B.S. in Computer Science, an M.S. in Computer Science, and an online M.S. in Software Engineering. The M.S. in Software Engineering is ranked 29th in the nation and 3rd in California among online engineering programs by the US News and World Report. The Department strives to further CSUF’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity. For more information about the department, please visit: https://www.fullerton.edu/ecs/cs.
The College of Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) and the Department of Computer Science are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion. We foster a welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for students, faculty, staff and the community at large. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php)
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.