Department of Economics
College of Business and Economics
Assistant or Associate Professor
The Department of Economics at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant or Associate Professor position(s) in Economics with a specialization in the fields of Applied Microeconomics with a focus on health, education, and welfare, or labor and demographic economics. The appointment begins in Fall 2022.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms and individually mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline, and the development of courses in their area(s) of specialization. Specific courses that this person will teach include applicable field courses as well as econometrics or introduction to mathematical economics. Faculty responsibilities also include contributing to the supervision of undergraduate and graduate research. The successful candidate will also be responsible for producing scholarship commensurate with the requirements for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary or local communities.
- Ph.D. in Economics with an emphasis in Applied Microeconomics with a focus on health, education, and welfare, or labor and demographic economics at the start of the appointment;
- Demonstrated research potential as evidenced by research record and ongoing research in at least one of the areas above appropriate to the level of appointment;
- Demonstrated interest in teaching a diverse student population, including first‐generation college students.
- The department has a preference for candidates who conduct research in the areas of inequality and mobility, discrimination, or immigration, and who study low-income communities in the US.
- Preference will also be given to candidates who have experience working with, teaching, or mentoring diverse groups or students as well as to candidates who have the ability to contribute to fostering diversity of the campus, curriculum, and/ or discipline.
A complete on‐line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to apply for requisition #505048, and provide the following required materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- research statement with research sample(s)
- teaching statement and evidence of teaching effectiveness if applicable
- candidate statement on commitment to inclusive excellence
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of the diversity statement is to help departments identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- a list of three references with relevant contact information
- On the references page of the online application, enter information for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter at the appropriate step in the search process. Candidates can verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into the recruitment system.
- Applicants should we aware that recommendations will be used when evaluating candidates for the semi-finalist and finalist stage.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Kristin J. Kleinjans, Department Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com or call 657‐278‐8693.
Applications received by November 15, 2021 are guaranteed full considerations. The anticipated appointment date is August 22, 2022.
First-round interviews will be conducted virtually at and around the time of the January 2022 ASSA meetings.
The College and Department
Composed of over 20 tenured and tenure-track faculty and housed in the College of Business and Economics, the Department of Economics offers BA programs in Economics and in Business Administration with an Economics concentration as well as a STEM-certified MA program. We seek diverse faculty members who have a strong, ongoing commitment to research and publication in high‐quality journals.
Located in one of the most vibrant and entrepreneurial business communities in the United States 26 miles from Los Angeles, the College of Business and Economics at California State University, Fullerton is the largest accredited business school on the West Coast, nationally recognized for accreditation in both its business and accounting programs.
The College provides a world-class business education, offering graduate and undergraduate programs that integrate classroom education with best business practices, technology, award-winning research, functional applications, and real-world experience. Our network of more than 60,000 alumni and business partners are the driving force of Southern California business.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php).
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.