Department of Athletics
Division of Student Affairs
Assistant Coach - Men’s Basketball
The Department of Athletics at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for an Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach position with anticipated appointment to begin Summer 2022.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Aligning with the university’s vision and mission, the Titans Athletic department’s inclusive culture promotes equitable participation for our student-athletes as well as enhances the career objectives for coaches, administration and staff and is all geared towards improving the learning and competitive environment which enables our student-athletes to reach their full potential both in the classroom and in their respective sports. Candidates who can contribute to this environment through their work are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation has been severe, and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Men’s Basketball program at California State University, Fullerton is a highly competitive program and competes in the NCAA Division I Big West Conference. The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach reports directly to the Men’s Head Basketball Coach and they assist with coaching in this program in addition to the following duties:
- Assist with coaching a highly competitive men’s basketball program which competes in the NCAA Division I Big West Conference
- Assist with recruiting Division I quality student-athletes
- Assist with monitoring the academic progress of student-athletes
- Assist with developing a plan for yearly implementation of offensive and defensive philosophies
- Know and abide by NCAA, University & Big West rules and regulations
- Scout and conduct statistical analysis of recruits and opponents
- Work harmoniously with the Strength & Conditioning Coach to assist and monitor student athletes’ year-round training and conditioning development
- Work in conjunction with the head coach regarding travel coordination, scheduling, and practice planning
- Take an active role in marketing men’s basketball on campus and within the community through public appearances and promotional efforts
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Demonstrated successful coaching experience at the collegiate and/or professional level in a diverse setting
- Proven ability to promote inclusivity when recruiting highly skilled student-athletics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, solid administrative abilities, and a strong commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student-athlete
- Ability to interact successfully with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and to work harmoniously with students and colleagues.
- Thorough knowledge of NCAA Division I rules and regulations
- Current CPR certification
- NCAA Division I basketball coaching experience
- Knowledge of various scouting and video editing software systems
A complete on‐line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php, choose full-time faculty, search for position #513973, and provide the following required materials:
- Cover Letter in which the applicant addresses:
- Qualifications for the position
- Desire to work at California State University, Fullerton
- Resume (this is described as a Curriculum Vita in the applicant portal)
- Candidate Statement on Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of the diversity statement is to help departments identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- Contact information for three current professional references
- On the references page of the online application, enter information for three referents who can provide a confidential reference for your application.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Ashley Lowery at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received May 24, 2022. Review of applications may continue until the position is filled.
The anticipated appointment date is Summer 2022.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
This is a faculty bargaining unit, 12-month, full time position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. CSU Fullerton offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package which includes health/vision/dental plans and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system. For a detailed description of faculty benefits go to: https://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/benefits_at_a_glance/
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. Additionally, following a conditional offer of employment, a driving record check will be conducted on the final job candidate since driving a motor vehicle is an essential job function for this position.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and requires hiring employees to perform CSU related work within the State of California.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php)