Working Title: Student Financial Services Lead
Classification Title: Administrative Analyst/ Specialist Exempt II
Department Name: Financial Services
Time Base: Full-time
Pay Plan: 12 month
Bargaining Unit: 9 (CSUEU)
Employment Type: Probationary/Permanent
Salary Range: $4,693-$8,489 per month. Hiring salary is budgeted at $5,800 - $6,400 per month commensurate with education and experience
Benefits: Premium benefit package includes outstanding health, dental, and vision plans; life and disability insurances; pension (CalPERS); tuition fee waiver; and 14 paid holidays per year. See our benefits website for additional information.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. A review of applications will begin Wednesday, April 27, 2022, and the review period may end at any time thereafter.
Position Summary: The Student Financial Services Lead is responsible for the coordination and operational control of all the functions of the Cashiering, Accounts Receivables and Disbursement units of the Student Financial Services Office. The incumbent is directly involved in the planning and development of all the procedures and policy recommendations related to student financial services. In addition, the incumbent is directly responsible for the planning, development, implementation and maintenance of the CashNet Cashiering system, Online Fee Payment Application, and Student Financials Module in PS Campus Solutions.
About California State University Maritime Academy:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on the scenic Vallejo waterfront, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1000 undergraduates and 50 graduate students.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree, as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
Coordinate and provide lead direction for the various functions of the Student Financial Services Office.
- Provide lead work direction, train, and monitor the work of the Student Financial and Cashier Accounting Technicians. Assist the University Controller with evaluating work performance and establishing priorities and timelines for tasks.
- Interpret federal, state and other agency regulations, policies and procedures.
- Interpret and apply CSU and campus fee policy to setup semester tuition and mandatory registration fee calculation and fees for housing, meals, parking and other charges.
- Setup semester board and stored value plans and import student plans to Blackboard.
- Research, develop and implement campus policies and procedures related to student registration, financial aid, student finance, and other related student activities.
- Develop internal campus workflow schedules for Student Financials related to timing of registration, billing, fee due dates, enrollment cancellation, financial aid disbursements and refunds.
- Monitor the Cashier Office functions, review postings, process voids as required and ensure daily work interfaces to general ledger for main campus cashiers and satellite cashiering locations.
- Provide direction and coordination with other Financial Services personnel related to cash and credit card reporting, student refunds and financial aid disbursements and refunds.
- Evaluate and coordinate resource needs.
- Review and update functional processes to ensure systems are set up to achieve desired results.
- Design and deliver customer service initiatives.
- Ensure proper recording to the general ledger by reconciling student fees, deposits and clearing accounts on a monthly basis.
- Reconciliations required for student fees reporting, census, student fee waivers, etc.
- Properly record and adjust fees, apply waivers, payment application, setup installment and third-party contracts.
- Monitor student accounts receivable and enrollment cancellation process.
- Coordinate with Registrar’s Office after certification for correct account adjustment and payments for veteran students participating in the 911/GI Bill benefits program.
- Coordinate with the Director of Financial Aid, the timing and correct application of financial aid to student accounts.
- Process student refunds within federal financial aid guidelines.
- Process student refunds for general payments, refunds for extended learning courses and corporate refunds.
- Monitor tuition calculation and record pro-rated fees for students who withdraw from the university as well as verify financial aid adjusted as appropriate. Adjust board and stored value plans.
- Review daily bank postings and ensure proper recording in CASHNet.
- Manage dishonored payments in CASHNet and/or PeopleSoft.
Concur Travel & Expense Module – Provide assistance and support in the following areas:
- Training administrators, faculty and staff
- Administration and management of all functional components of the travel application
- Resolution of travel-related issues and problems reported
- Issuance and coordination of travel cards
Maintain and enhance Cash Receipts System (CashNet), Online/Web Fee Payment Systems & delivered PS Student Financial application.
- Create CASHNet reports for scheduled email delivery to various departments on campus.
- Perform CASHNet system implementation, upgrade and maintenance.
- Perform PeopleSoft Student Financials module implementation, upgrade and maintenance.
- Perform Blackboard system implementation, upgrade, and maintenance for board plans and stored value funds for students and campus departments.
- Work with IT and consultants to develop and maintain custom reports for student accounts receivable, housing assignments, and medical insurance waivers.
- Work with IT and consultants to manage file exports and transfers to/from subsystems to the general ledger.
- Implementation of progressive technological advances and utilization of Oracle and baseline processes.
Tax reporting oversight
- Direct the tax recording and reporting for eligible educational payments received, or amounts billed, for qualified tuition and related expenditures and financial aid disbursements required to be filed with the 1098T Tuition Statement.
- This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs and/or administrative specialties, including pertinent laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in and advanced knowledge of the principles, problems, and methods of public and business administration and operational and fiscal management.
- Expertise in administrative survey techniques, operations and systems analysis, statistical and research methods, and the ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles to conceive and develop strategic solutions.
- Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations.
- Demonstrated consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus.
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration and 5 years of experience in accounting/financial reporting.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Knowledge of fiscal policies and procedures related to administration of Student Account Financial programs
- Experience with integrated financial systems, including PeopleSoft, Integration Broker, CASHNet and Blackboard.
- Ability to identify problems and troubleshoot system processes.
- Experience with personal computers and application software such as word processing, spreadsheet, database and electronic mail.
- Supervisory experience
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
Hours of Work/Travel: Occasional travel outside of normal business hours.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Conditions: Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.
Background Check: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check, DMV records check, and fingerprinting) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Eligibility to Work: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
Title IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO Statement: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
Application Procedure: Click "APPLY NOW" to complete the Cal Maritime Online Employment Application and attach the following documents: cover letter and resume.
Disclaimer: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained may be modified or changed.