Working Title: Associate Director of Athletics
Classification Title: Administrator II
Department Name: Student Recreation
Time Base: Full-time
Pay Plan: 12 month
Bargaining Unit : M80 (Management/MPP)
Employment Type: MPP – this position is part of the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP). No tenure or permanent status can be achieved within the MPP.
Salary Range: Hiring salary is commensurate with education and experience
Benefits: Premium benefit package includes outstanding health, dental and vision plans; life and disability insurances; pension (CalPERS); tuition fee waiver; and 14 paid holidays per year. See our benefits website for additional information.
Application Deadline: Open until filled, unless there is a specific close date. A review of applications will begin Tuesday, June 21, 2022 and the review period may end at any time thereafter.
Under the direction of the Director of Athletics and Physical Education, the Associate Director of Athletics will primarily be responsible for the operations including community engagement, sport camps, facility management, game day management, equipment for all sport programs, recreation, and intramurals for the department. As part of the department leadership team, this position will serve as the diversity, equity, and inclusion liaison, serve on campus committees, and serve as the sport supervisor for multiple teams.
About the California State University Maritime Academy:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on the scenic Vallejo waterfront, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1000 undergraduates and 50 graduate students.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree, as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
- Responsible for development, implementation, supervision, and complete operations of all aspects related to the Recreation and Intramural programs.
- Coordinates and supervises sport clubs that are included in the Department of Athletics.
- Responsible for being the sport camps director.
- Responsible for being the principal liaison for maintenance and management of Athletics, Recreation, Intramurals, and Physical Education facilities.
- Coordinates and manages community engagement related to the Department of Athletics.
- Supervision of sports programs.
- Assists with all aspects of game day management.
- Responsible for all aspects related to team equipment purchasing, receiving, organizing, distribution, and collection.
- Serves as a member of the Director of Athletics senior administrative team.
- Responsible for being the principal liaison with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act report (EADA) submission.
- Responsible for being the liaison for campus safety and risk management.
- Assists with the strategic planning and implementation of the department and campus initiatives.
- Create and maintain collaborative working relationships with all administration, staff, coaches, cadets, and community.
- Serves on campus committees as assigned.
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safety and effectively complete assignments.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required.
- Evidence of at least three years of experience working with athletics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to build strong internal and external relationships.
- The ability to supervise, train, and evaluate the work of staff and recommend appropriate personnel actions.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Strong computer and technical skills to support high utilization of various university systems, institutional and national databases, Cal Pac Conference and NAIA portals and resources, and other technology-based tools and subscriptions.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to interpret, communicate, and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- A Master’s degree in preferred.
- NIRSA membership is preferred.
- Title IX certification is preferred.
- Thorough understanding and commitment to the Cal Pac Conference and NAIA policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the legal, ethical, and regulatory environment of intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-center attitude.
Hours of Work/Travel: This position requires the ability to work nights, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel assignments.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Conditions: Up to 40% of the activities involve sitting, standing, squatting, kneeling or walking; involves lifting heavy weight objects limited to 50 pounds; may involve pushing and pulling objects within the weight limits.
Background Check: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check, DMV records check, fingerprinting, and credit check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Mandated Reporter: The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
Designated Position: This position is a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Eligibility to Work: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
Title IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO Statement: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
Application Procedure: Click "APPLY NOW" to complete the Cal Maritime Online Employment Application and attach the following documents: cover letter and resume.
Disclaimer: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained may be modified or changed.