Classification: Confidential Administrative Support I
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,680 per month*.
CSU Salary Schedule
*CSUMB provides pay scales representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for this position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, and CSU systemwide pay for comparable jobs.
Priority Screening Date: September 4, 2023
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
**Internal CSUMB Applicants Only**
California State University, Monterey Bay is a mid-sized university in California’s Central Coast that grants undergraduate and graduate degrees. Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, CSUMB is part of the nation’s largest four-year public university system, California State University, which educates nearly 460,000 students every year. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,000 students, CSU Monterey Bay is both a Minority Serving Institution and a Hispanic Serving Institution. Our staff and faculty transform students’ lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning, and a strong emphasis on multicultural and global perspectives. CSUMB’s sustainability goal is to be carbon neutral by 2030.
The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in developing a diverse body of faculty, staff and administrators. Many appreciate living and working close to the shores of beautiful Monterey Bay, with easy access to recreational areas from Big Sur to Santa Cruz. Nearby opportunities for collaborative research include working in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Silicon Valley, and with colleagues at local research universities, including UC Santa Cruz and Stanford University.
As one of the 23 campuses in the CSU system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate rental housing on East Campus, and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. With proximity to the San Francisco Bay Area and San Jose, opportunities for faculty, staff and students are as endless as the shores of the nearby Pacific Ocean.
Under the direction of the Director for Employee & Labor Relations, Compliance and Leave Programs, this position will perform a variety of moderate administrative and analytical tasks to facilitate the efficient, accurate, and timely delivery of benefit services and leaves administration support. This position serves as the primary COVID-19 Tracer for campus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
Leaves, Workers Compensation and Ergonomics Support:
- Provides clerical support for employee leaves of absences. In close coordination with the HR Analyst for ADA, Leaves and Workers’ Compensation: updates leaves tracking; prepares and disseminates leave documents/letters; constructs leave/pay calendars in Excel; and maintains leave files.
- Provides administrative support on highly sensitive and confidential matters, including contract and labor relations issues. Collects and compiles material for review and analysis. Assists in preparing responses to requests for information.
- Provides advising and coordination for faculty and staff. Ensures compliance with workers compensation, FMLA and other leave regulations; track leaves, coordinate and resolve payroll and other issues. Updates HRIS FMLA module for leave transactions; generates payroll transaction records timely.
- Provides Ergonomics assessments and support as needed.
- Assists with staff and faculty benefits administration. In close coordination with the Benefits Programs Specialist, schedules faculty benefits orientation.
- Assists Benefits Programs Specialist with COBRA processing; group benefit orientations and retirement advising.
- Handles personal information in a confidential manner and complies with applicable laws and regulations, including HIPAA.
- Assists with the coordination of the annual Benefits and Wellness Fair, promotes various benefit programs, and supports Benefits Programs Specialist with scheduling financial planning sessions.
- Prepares and analyzes ad hoc management reports used in collective bargaining as it relates to academic benefit negotiations.
- Supports the Benefits Programs Specialist with the monthly benefits transaction and deduction reports to ensure that enrollments are processed accurately and that benefits data are in sync. Ensures that enrollment documents are filed accurately.
COVID-19 Support Services:
- Conducts COVID tracing efforts for CSUMB Campus cases of exposures and positive cases
- Ensures prompt notifications of workplace exposures; tracks and manages communications and data in compliance with CalOSHA, CSU, local and county regulations
- Ensures workers’ compensation reporting for workplace exposures, as well as follows all protocols for COVID outbreaks for CSUMB
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Comprehensive knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling and ability to use that knowledge to write clear and concise reports, correspondence, and memoranda. Effective communication and listening skills. Working knowledge of principles, problems, and methods of public and business administration and operations. Excellent ability to organize, plan, prioritize, set deadlines and complete projects on schedule including complex logistical arrangements involving programs, meetings and travel. Ability to instill confidence in administrators, faculty, staff, and other University constituents. Ability to effectively manage relationships within a diverse, multi-cultural environment, including those with outside entities or agencies. Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information and situations with discretion.
Ability to demonstrate sound judgment, credibility, and to act in a highly diplomatic, discreet, and confidential manner. Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and with professional composure in a high-level, fast-paced administrative office with a heavy workload and frequent interruptions.
Ability to understand and apply the principles, concepts, and work processes, laws, rules, and reference materials pertinent to the operations of Human Resources benefit systems. Ability to analyze reports with attention to detail and accuracy, to make independent decisions, and to exercise sound judgement.
Basic foundation of knowledge of the principles of organization, administration and management and the ability to analyze and find solutions to problems, work independently, communicate effectively, and write clear and concise reports. Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university AND three years of progressively responsible administrative analyst or support experience OR a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the prospective applicant has acquired the knowledge and abilities listed above. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis.
Related HR experience in a public sector and/or higher education environment, or in the California State University system. Demonstrated working knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations. Strong, effective interpersonal skills and ability to work in harmony with a wide range of campus and CSU system personnel.
Ability to handle highly sensitive materials and situations using discretion and good judgment, to include confidential personnel and hiring records. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and to exercise considerable discretion, diplomacy, and good judgment. Demonstrated ability to maintain composure and tact during highly stressful situations and under heavy workload, with conflicting priorities, frequent interruptions, and other demands.
Certified to perform Ergonomics assessments. Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs.
Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB’s Vision.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards)
- control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Position may be required to frequently sit, move, and stand for standard office functions. Requirements may include the need to sit or work at a computer terminal for long periods of time on projects. Ability to move objects and materials of approximately 10-50 pounds. May be required to travel across campus to other offices or buildings on and off the main campus. Ability to use office equipment, telephone, calculator, personal computer, fax, copier, and scanner.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 15 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit Employee Benefits Summary. As a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.