Classification: 12-Month Faculty, Tenure-Track
Priority Screening Date: October 1, 2023 - Extended
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Appointment Date: January 2024 or Sooner if Available
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives with a focus on student success and engagement through experiential learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. With a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The university’s Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB’s sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university’s faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is seeking an open-rank professor for the Master of Science Physician Assistant (MSPA) program. The College of Health Sciences and Human Services (CHSHS) at CSUMB developed the MSPA Program in the response to the explicit need for advance-practice clinical providers in the Tri-County area. The MSPA Program focuses on providing primary care to underserved patient populations. In this way, the MSPA program serves a critical regional need while strengthening the health of communities that future CSUMB-trained Physician Assistants will serve.
The candidates should be prepared to join a group of dedicated and collaborative colleagues in a progressive educational environment where working together is viewed as a benefit. We seek highly motivated, energetic, and optimistic individuals to join our team as full-time 12-month faculty. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about the PA profession and eager to pass on that enthusiasm to the next generation of PAs. Salary and rank are commensurate with education and experience.
- Primary responsibility will be to teach courses that may include: Clinical Medicine, Pharmacology, Anatomy & Physiology (Basic Medical Sciences), Behavioral Medicine, Evidence-based Medicine, Clinical Skills, and Patient Evaluation and Education
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and deliver current content based upon ARC-PA standards and the NCCPA blueprint for the PANCE
- Assist with the development, content, implementation, and evaluation of the didactic curriculum
- Evaluate and advise didactic and clinical year students
- Participate in the Student Progress Committee, Admissions Selection Committee, Accreditation Preparation Committee, and/or Curriculum Committee
- Develop and maintain syllabi consistent with CSUMB and ARC-PA standards and reflecting the mission of the program, college, and university
- Participate in application, self-study, and site visit activities necessary in acquiring provisional and continuing program accreditation
- Engage in scholarly activities and service
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Report to the Program Director
- Physician assistant with a master’s degree or higher from an accredited academic institution, current NCCPA certification and eligibility for licensure in the state of California by time of appointment
- Ability to teach effectively across a wide range of courses
- Two years’ experience teaching PAs in an academic setting
- Two or more years of clinical experience as a board-certified PA
- Track record of excellent teaching and a scholarly activity
- Ability to network with outside organizations and facilities
- Knowledge and experience providing health care for diverse populations, especially Latino and other underserved groups who have been historically marginalized and lack access to culturally relevant health care
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The incumbent is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Education’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California’s Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
COMPENSATION: Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $9,167/mo - $10,417/mo
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; and membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). For more information, visit: Employee Benefits Summary. Additionally, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application and submit required documents by the priority screening date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Human Resources at (831) 582-3389 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.