Director, Human Resources Information Systems
Job no: 517617
Work type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
At CSUN we aspire to continually grow as an inclusive, cooperative community!
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. As a leader you will have the opportunity to thrive in a community in which our leaders share common traits as identified in our Leadership Principles https://www.csun.edu/leadership-principles. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place.
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, the Director, Human Resources Information Systems provides vision, leadership, planning, project coordination, and management of the HRIS unit, ensuring HR technology strategy is linked to university and people strategies. The incumbent manages the day-to-day operations of HRIS and leads process change initiatives to improve efficiency and effectiveness to ensure compliance and meet current and future business needs.
- Partners with Human Resources and campus constituents in identifying, planning, and managing system improvement initiatives and leading technology efforts.
- Acts as subject matter expert on PeoplesSoft implementation projects, leading the process of documentation, design, change management, cost estimation, project management, testing, production support, and auditing.
- Seeks out appropriate interpretations of CSU policies and guidelines, state and federal laws, California Education Codes and collective bargaining agreements.
- As a leader, demonstrates a commitment to student success that is mission aligned with the university’s vision, values and priorities. Establishes an ethical and collegial work environment, promoting a collaborative, accountable and inclusive team. Encourages a courageous and resilient solution-oriented environment by participating in new opportunities to further the mission of the university. Participates in developing initiatives that further support the campus mission with a service-oriented and catalytic mind set. Strengthens employees by being communicative and a talent builder that develops team attributes, furthering departmental goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3SJjf0g
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in a job-related field.
- Equivalent to five years of progressively responsible professional/administrative experience in human resources management and/or HRIS in an organization with complex personnel systems, with two of the five years in a managerial role preferred.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and Oracle including system upgrade planning and implementation, creating system specifications, and system maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Leadership
- Advanced knowledge of the methods and problems or organizational management and the principles and practices of human resources management. Strong knowledge of HR information systems (PeopleSoft specific technologies including PeopleTools, Structured Query Reporter (SQR), Application, Engineer, and Message agent, Query/Crystal Reports and/or Data mover scripts) processes and HR data and how they interact and shape HR strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated knowledge of specific PeopleSoft modules including Workforce Administration, Benefits Administration, Time and Labor, Absence Management and Position Management. Ability to apply project management techniques (planning and control), work flow analysis, organizational design and development while coordinating many different project tasks to determine importance of each, prioritize and set appropriate deadlines. Ability and specialized skills to: plan, coordinate, and direct the work of subordinate staff engaged in various professional and technical projects, and ability to ensure timely completion of projects; design and deliver employee training programs; quickly learn and apply a variety of CSU and CSUN policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, and state and federal labor laws.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and position statements; effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, managers, and customers; define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions and to interpret applicable rules, regulations, and laws; make decisions and work effectively in a fast-paced environment; maintain confidentiality; set and multi-task priorities and deadlines to ensure that multiple projects are consistently completed in a timely manner; demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing with clarity and proficiency. Candidate must possess: team building, facilitation, and diagnostic skills; computer competence and proficiency with application software such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook email; and strong customer service orientation.
- Lead diverse teams to support the operational mission and vision of employers by fostering an ethical, inclusive and collegial work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to support ongoing improvement through courageous, resilient, and catalytic leadership.
- Lead varying initiatives through a collaborative, service-oriented and communicative approach.
- Demonstrated commitment to employee development, recognition, and accountability to further operational goals.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. The University offers excellent fringe benefits.
- The position is currently hybrid (3 days in office, 2 days remote); however, this is subject to change based on student and/or operational needs.
- This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- The person holding this position may be considered a 'limited reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
- Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
- Applications received through August 30, 2022, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
- CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend