Customer Service Worker-Usher/Backstage (Continuous)
Job no: 529716
Work type: Staff
Categories: Excluded, Temporary, Time Varies, Theatre Arts, On-site (work in-person at business location)
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Customer Service Worker-Usher/Backstage provides customer service support for events at the Younes and Soraya Nazarian Center for the Performing Arts (The Soraya) and other campus theaters supported by The Soraya such as the Plaza del Sol Performance Hall. The incumbent interacts with artists, renters, guests, and audience in accordance with various aspects of public convenings at The Soraya including, but not limited to, security, safety, parking, venue access, ticketing and seating, VIP protocols, providing exit instructions in the event of an emergency, and other policies and procedures.
- Refers matters as required to team supervisor and works across various customer service teams including Audience Services, Artists Entrance, and/or Production Hospitality.
- Performs customer service duties including scanning or tearing of tickets and distributing programs and assists patrons with finding their seats and late seating.
- Assists with the enforcement of policies pertaining to patron possession of large personal items, food and beverage, and use of recording devices within the theatre.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://rb.gy/fd1l3
- Current American Heart Association or Red Cross CPR, AED and/or First Aid, and TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) certifications are preferred.
- Catering or food service experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of theatre etiquette, standards and protocol, performing arts center and university facilities, policies, and organization is a plus.
- Displays excellent customer service skills and the ability to effectively work crowd control; excellent verbal communication skills; flexibility and patience when interacting with others.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, team supervisors, artists/artist management, rental clients, and patrons; to be courteous and communicative and maintain the highest standard of professionalism and customer service at all times.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment both independently, as well as part of a team, under the pressure of time deadlines.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Classification: 0101 – Helper/Aid
- The anticipated HIRING RATE is $15.50 per hour.
- HOURS: Intermittent, on-call; hours and schedule vary.
- TEMP: This is a Temporary-renewable position, end date to be determined.
- Applications are currently being accepted to establish a Helper Aid POOL. Applications for these on-call positions will be accepted on a continuing basis through June 30, 2024 or until an adequate amount of applications have been received.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
- The CSU recommends that faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, covered military and veteran status, and disability. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend