Job no: 532750
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Temporary, Part Time, Student Services
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Interpreter facilitates the integration of deaf/hard-of-hearing professionals in the classroom and other instructional settings by interpreting the spoken or signed communication (English – American Sign Language). The incumbent employs voice-to-sign and sign-to-voice interpretation to assist deaf professionals and their colleagues to participate fully in academic, staff, and other related functions.
- Provides high level interpreting services in complex situations such as advanced level classes, meetings, discussions, seminars, conferences, and/or a variety of platform settings.
- Services may involve highly technical or specialized subject matter that require higher levels of skill and more advanced and fluent interpreting techniques.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://mycsun.box.com/s/g1uuqlfeexnonwa77faf58ajcupkg09f
- Any combination of formal training and relevant documented interpreting experience that demonstrates assurance of the skills appropriate for the level of the assignment. Such combination of experience and training should be equivalent to those prescribed in one of the following required certifications: RID (CI or CT), NAD (Levels 4-5 only), and NIC (Certified, Advanced, or Master).
- Wide acquaintance with academic higher education through attendance at or graduation from a four-year college or university is preferred.
- Two years of relevant documented interpreting experience in a variety of settings is desired.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the process of interpretation; American Sign Language (ASL) and/or an English sign system as required by the consumer(s) or the assignment; the methods and techniques used in communicating with Deaf and hard-of-hearing consumers; understanding of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) code of professional conduct; the vocabulary used in the courses to which the interpreter is assigned; and a demonstrated knowledge of Deaf Culture.
- Must have native-like or native competency with English and ASL, and use ASL, signed English, and/or another manual sign system to effectively generate language; interpret and transliterate between both ASL and sign systems and spoken English at a speed required by the assignment which may involve a variety of settings such as a classroom, conference, and/or one-on-one meeting, and work with consumers from diverse backgrounds.
- Must have any combination of formal training and relevant documented interpreting experience that demonstrates assurance of the skills appropriate for the level of the assignment. Such combination of experience and training should be equivalent to those prescribed in one of the following required certifications: RID (CI or CT), NAD (Levels 4-5 only), and NIC (Certified, Advanced, or Master).
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Classification / grade: 7193 / Hourly Interpreter / Realtime Captioner
- The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $17.57 - $64.00 per hour, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $17.57 - $176.50 per hour.
- HOURS: Intermittent, on-call; hours and schedule vary.
- TEMP: This is a Temporary-renewable position, end date to be determined.
- Applications are currently being accepted to establish an Hourly Interpreter POOL. Applications for these on-call positions will be accepted on a continuing basis through June 30, 2024 or until an adequate amount of applications have been received.
- This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
- Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
- The CSU recommends that faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, covered military and veteran status, and disability. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend