Senior Energy Engineer
- Requisition no: 513807
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Facilities Operations
- Grade: Grade 14
- Categories: Facilities/Maint/Trades/RealEs
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Sr. Energy Engineer will have the following experience and responsibilities.
- Monitor and analyze energy usage in buildings and central plants and correct deficiencies.
- Review and report on facilities’ energy usage and energy intensity.
- Identify and quantify savings and costs for energy conservation measures (ECMs) and retro-commissioning measures (RCMs).
- Manage ECM/RCM database. Oversee the analysis of renewable power systems (solar, wind, geothermal, etc.).
- Support the development of a university-wide ongoing commissioning platform.
- Support the university’s Energy Management Information System database (EMIS).
- Manage the execution by consultants of a broad range of complicated analyses in support of infrastructure projects and energy programs for the Operations Department.
- Past analyses typical of the assignment include: Green Revolving Fund Formulation and Proforma, NYC LL1253 Carbon Emissions Limit Legislation and its potential impact, and Central Energy Plants conceptual design development (including loads, equipment and cycle selection, arrangement, optimal operation, and lifecycle costs analyses).
- Future analyses may include the study of GHG reduction measures such as “deep” energy conservation measures, migration to low temperature hot water distribution and the “electrification of heating.”
Energy Project Management:
- Oversee the execution of ASHRAE Level I, II, III audits and the implementation of ECMs/RCMs, metering and other energy related projects. Develop scope of work, issue RFP documents, level bids/award, negotiate contract, issue PO, pay invoice, assure work quality and performance (M&V), achieve schedule and deadlines, meet budget.
- Report on project progress.
- Provides technical expertise required in the GHG Reduction/Sustainability Program.
- Works closely with senior administrators supporting the submittal of greenhouse gas (GHG) Accounting efforts including submissions to The Climate Registry and the NYC Mayoral Challenge.
- Provides technical information required in incentive programs such as those from NYSERDA and Con Edison.
- Participate in industry activities such as NYECC, AEE, ASHRAE, and Urban Green.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Minimum of 5 - 7 years' related experience required.
- Well rounded, flexible energy engineer.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to contribute immediately with minimal orientation.
- Excel, MS Office suite (i.e. Project, PowerPoint, etc.), Building Performance Simulation/Building Information Modeling Software (such as DOE2, eQUEST, EnergyPlus, Autodesk Revit MEP), Bin Method Energy Analysis, Regression Analysis, ASHRAE Level 1, 2, 3 Energy Audits, and experience with NY and NYC codes (NYCECC, LL84, LL87, LL88, LL1253), industry standards (ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 100), and government agencies (NYSERDA).
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering with 5 - 7 years' practical experience in the analysis, engineering, design, construction, commissioning, measurement & verification and project management of energy related studies, audits and projects (ECMs, RCMs, Metering, etc.).
- Degree in Building Systems Engineering or Building Sciences is highly desirable.
- Energy services company, energy consulting firm or engineering design firm experience preferred.
- Facilities operational experience is desirable.
- Past experience with implementing monitoring-based commissioning desirable.
- The following licenses/certifications are desirable: Professional Engineer, Certified Energy Manager (CEM), and LEED Accredited Professional.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.