Assistant Director for Alumni and Development Programs
- Requisition no: 527097
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Office of Alumni & Development
- Grade: Grade 11
- Categories: Development/Alumni Relations
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week:
- Salary Range:
The Assistant Director will support the vibrant office of the Deputy Vice President for Alumni and Development Programs (“DVP”) and hold key responsibilities in support of the Gift Strategy team. The successful candidate will function efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced professional environment while independently managing multiple tasks and projects with competing deadlines. Handling highly confidential and critical information, this candidate will screen and prioritize communications and opportunities from external and internal sources, and seek to organize, maintain and enhance processes. In addition, the position is responsible for executing workflows, coordinating and drafting materials, and ensuring the highest levels of integrity and consistency in their work. This position reports directly to the Deputy Vice President for Alumni and Development Programs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
OAD Programs Project Management / Operational Support
- Coordinates the timely completion of day-to-day executive-level projects and operations critical to the office of the DVP by managing personal tasks, gaining the cooperation of others, monitoring and communicating progress, solving problems, and making adjustments as needed.
- In partnership with Talent Management’s Professional Development team and key Alumni and Development Programs leads, provides support in the planning of needed training for new hires and existing staff.
- Contributes to and supports the work of the Data Governance Committee.
- Conducts project-related research, produces needed reports, documents processes, publishes materials to our internal knowledge base, and maintains an efficient digital filing system for daily storage and retrieval.
- Manages data and reporting requests utilizing Columbia’s Athena (Advance) fundraising database. Create, analyze, and manipulate donor data spreadsheets. Research donor giving and endowed fund histories as background.
Gift Strategy / Development Operations
- Manages the timely signing of all gift agreements and other key documents manually or through DocuSign.
- Day-to-Day administration support of Donor Advised Funds (DAF) for the University including working with Donor Relations to ensure accurate preparation of quarterly and annual performance DAF reports; communicates with fundraisers regarding upcoming DAF distributions; coordinates DAF distributions to Columbia and other charities with external parties, the Controller’s Office, and Gift Systems.
- Prepares briefings; creates agendas, drafts complex letters and other related correspondence and materials to ensure DVPs and other team leads are prepared for meetings and events.
- Partners with team members on the development of key internal newsletters and presentations.
Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent. Minimum of two to four years’ of progressively related experience, preferably in fundraising, project management and/or accounting. Must demonstrate excellent attention to detail and organizational skills as well as verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to exercise excellent judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all interactions. Must be able to identify and improve common day-to-day tasks and operations. Ability to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of confidentiality required. Proficiency with Microsoft and Google Suites is required.
Experience with formalized databases such as Salesforce and Advance preferred.
Must be able to accurately handle diverse projects and a large volume of detailed work simultaneously, and use good judgment in prioritizing work.
Subject to a change in business needs, the Office of Alumni and Development supports a hybrid work arrangement for this position. This will be discussed during the interview process.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.