Leadership Gift Officer, General Studies
- Requisition no: 527950
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Office of Alumni & Development
- Grade: Grade 12
- Categories: Development/Alumni Relations
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
The Leadership Gift Officer, General Studies, identifies, cultivates, and solicits alumni and friends of the School of General Studies for unrestricted and restricted gifts for financial aid and academic initiatives focused on undergraduate students, with an emphasis on securing gifts up to $100,000. These annual gifts provide important support for financial aid, new academic initiatives, and ongoing expenses. This position is also responsible for ensuring the GS annual fund achieves its goals.
Columbia University recently launched a $1.4 million student support initiative fundraising campaign, of which the GS development unit is responsible for raising $60 million. The Leadership Gift officer will play an invaluable role in the Arts and Sciences campaign, collaborating with Major Gift and Planned Giving Officers in the Office of Alumni and Development, Columbia Alumni Association staff and colleagues throughout the University. Partners with the Dean and senior leadership team within GS as warranted. This position reports to the Executive Director, Major Gifts, Arts & Sciences.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Under the guidance of the Executive Director, Major Gifts, Arts & Sciences, the Leadership Gift Officer manages a portfolio of 300 prospects.
- Conducts 125-150 personal visits with a personal annual production goal of $500,000.
- Focuses on discovery work, including promoting bequest intentions and other planned giving vehicles.
- Conducts all follow-up development efforts needed to sustain and advance prospect relationships.
- Responsible for sustaining a productive annual fund on behalf of GS, which will include but is not limited to partnering with Annual Fund Programs, Alumni relations, and gift officers across the Office of Alumni and Development. The Leadership Gift Officer is expected to be self-motivated, well-organized, a collegial partner, possess an entrepreneurial spirit and, above all, a persuasive advocate for Columbia University's priorities.
- Manages a small committee of volunteer fundraisers that help to solicit high-end annual gifts; acts as a primary liaison to these committee members to ensure efforts to promote General Studies
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum of 3-5 years’ related experience required, preferably in fundraising or related transferable experience, with demonstrated success in annual or planned giving or applicable ability. Excellent writing and communication skills, tact, sensitivity and mature judgment are required. Must be professional, organized, creative and efficient, able to work successfully both individually and as part of a team. This position requires evening and weekend work and travel as necessary.
Advanced degree preferred. Experience with higher education fundraising also preferred.
Preference given to candidates with a documented record of successfully closing gifts within or near the range of gifts expected from the incumbent.
Subject to business needs, the Office of Alumni and Development supports a hybrid work arrangement for this position. Options will be discussed during the interview process.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.