Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
The objective of a Project Engineer is to manage and coordinate projects efficiently, safely, and profitably, using the Symal Infrastructure integrated management system, and perform contract administration.
Responsibilities of the role include:
Program management: Manage all areas of the program under your control to ensure project delivery.
- Produce and monitor a three week look ahead target program
- Program is to be resourced with all plant and materials necessary to deliver the works
- Program is to be signed off from the Site Supervisor
- Program is to be reported to the Project Manager to ensure it ties in with the contractual program
- Program to be updated weekly
- Where dictated by the Project Manager, the Project Engineer is to undertake productivity tracking on critical activities
- Maintain the procurement program so that no procurement items cause delay in the program
- Set out programs to the Symal Infrastructure standard
- Prepare procurement documentation to pass onto the Procurement Manager in line with the procurement program
- Monitor and assist the Project Manager / Senior Project Engineer in meeting project dates and milestones.
Commercial: Maximise profitability of projects and ensure projects are delivered in accordance with contract requirements.
- Deliver procurement in accordance with the Symal Infrastructure procurement procedure
- Assist the Project Manager / Senior Project Engineer in the preparation of agreed project variations
- Ensure key productivity driven tasks are identified / monitored and tracked to ensure maximum efficiency
- Complete detailed cost to complete in Expert Estimation for the component of works under your supervision each month
- Assist the Project Manager / Senior Project Engineer in ensuring all progress claims are submitted in accordance with Symal Infrastructure and contract requirements and processed in Jobpac
- Ensure purchase orders and subcontracts are completed and processed in line with Symal Infrastructure procedures
- Manage certifications in preparation for the following months claim.
Client relationship: Build strong client relationships that position Symal Infrastructure for repeat work.
- Ensure the Client’s expectations are met regarding the level of Project Engineer supervision required for the project
- Meet the Client’s expectations regarding their systems, processes, and reporting
- Attend all site meetings and take minutes
- Ensure attendance when critical activities are occurring
- Build the relationship with client superintendents through the quality process. Submit all work within the set time frame.
OHS&E: manage site safety and environmental compliance on the project.
- Deliver projects safely in accordance with the Client’s systems and the Symal Infrastructure safety program
- Demonstrate leadership in safety by being actively involved in:
- Toolboxes and prestart
- Safe work method statement development
- Managing high risk works
- Conducting safety audits onsite at least monthly
- Conducting safety walks at least weekly
- Identify high risk activities and work with OH&S Managers to develop detailed work method statements to control the risk in line with the Symal Infrastructure safety program
- Meet all internal and external safety reporting requirements
- Vett, audit, and enforce subcontractor’s safety performance
Quality: Overall management of quality assurance across the project to ensure a high-quality project is delivered with minimal reworks.
- Maintain all quality assurance inspection and test plan and testing documentation as per contract requirements including ensuring all specification hold points are met and documented
- Ensure work method statements are written and followed to control all high risk items
- Capture all non-conformance reports including rework costs and systems are put in place to prevent reoccurrence
- Carry out the inspection and test plan process on all projects
- Track all non-conformance reports
- Undertake dilapidation surveys on all projects prior to acceptance of site
- Manage drawing and request for information registers as required.
- Develop analytical reports that summarise and track user visitation and engagement across the company’s digital platforms
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Approximately three years relevant construction experience
- Current Victorian Drivers Licence
- Have a sound understanding of typical construction specifications used in the Victorian construction industry, including but not limited to VicRoads specification
- Knowledge of Expert Estimation preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of Jobpac preferred but not essential
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Attention to detail and strong time management skills
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.