Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
The objective of a Leading Hand is to manage and coordinate projects/scope efficiently, safely and profitably
Responsibilities of the role include:
Program and commercial management: Manage the program and budget of all projects under their supervision inclusive of the planning to deliver and resource the project.
- Identity, record and report all claimable delays under the contract and raise to the Project Manager.
- Ensure all variations requests are in writing and have been approved by the client, project manager and then directed to site staff, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Ensure detailed commercial site records are kept in accordance with Symal Infrastructure standards including but not limited to: Daily Running Sheets, Day works Sheets, Variation Instructions.
- Have a detailed understanding of the Symal Infrastructure subcontractors under there direction and suppliers scope and contract conditions including but not limited to: Inclusions, Exclusions, Program.
- Subcontractor and supplier commercial management that are under there control approving hours and completed works in accordance with subcontract agreement and purchase order conditions.
- Establish clear target program objectives are set for the project team and subcontractor then monitored against performance.
- Resourced 3 Week lookaheads implemented and tracked with project team and subcontractors.
- Daily productivity tracking is monitored and reported to the project team and subcontractors
- Manage internal resource, supplier subcontract bookings in accordance with the 3-week look ahead and contract program
Client Relationship: Build strong client relationships that position Symal Infrastructure for repeat work
- Ensure we understand the client's culture and values and communicate this will all levels of the project team.
- Manage all communication from the field to their supervisor that is relevant to the companies client relationship.
- Ensure clients expectations are met regarding the level of supervision and management required for the tasks on site.
- Communicate Symal Infrastructure core values to our clients and live by them on our projects: Safety, Respect, Relationships, Well-Being, Culture & Innovation.
OHSE: Manage site safety and environmental compliance on the project
- Deliver projects safely in accordance with the client's systems and the Symal Infrastructure safety program.
- Demonstrate leadership in safety by leading:
- Toolboxes – 1No Per Site Per Week Submitted to OHSE Manager
- Pre-starts – Detailed pre-start to be the complete daily coverage of all specific activities, risk and hazards associated with the planned works.
- SWMS Development – All activities to be covered under a specific SWMS to the task.
- Site Risk Assessments - Development, Implementation and Updating the site risk register and controls. – To be constantly updated and submitted monthly.
- Conducting Weekly Safety Walks – Minimum submission 1 Per week to OHSE Manager
- Delivery of Flash Reports – All-flash reports being tool boxed and forwarded to OHSE Manager.
- Conducting Weekly Environmental Walks - Minimum submission 1 Per week to OHSE Manager
- Identify High-risk activities and work with OHSE managers to develop detailed Work Method Statements to control the risk in line with the Symal Infrastructure Safety Program.
Quality: Overall management of the Quality Assurance across the project to ensure a high-quality project is delivered with minimal reworks
- Ensure Work Method Statements are followed to control all high-risk items. Be involved in the development of these.
- ITP process must be managed and closed out on all projects to the client’s requirements.
- All defects or rework must have an NCR’s attached and signed off by the workgroup.
- Establishing & managing a document control process for site staff including but not limited to: Hard Copies, Soft Copies, Survey Models.
- Manage Symal Infrastructure subcontractors and suppliers to Symal Infrastructure quality standards ensuring: ITP’s completed, hold points witnessed, defected recorded and closed out
Training. management and leadership: It is a key requirement of a Leading Hand to develop the Symal Infrastructure site project team around them and hold them accountable to meet their requirements
- Manage, train and mentor Labour Force in all their responsibilities as per their position descriptions.
- Give guidance to all project staff setting clear targets and objectives to meet in line with both Symal Infrastructure and the client’s expectations.
- Ensure Symal Infrastructure process is standardised across all projects.
- Set clear roles and responsibilities for their project teams outlining not just the deliverables but timeframes and the method in which you want tasks delivered
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- A proven track record in leading field staff with a successful outcome in regards to the above responsibilities
- Approximately 5 years of relevant construction experience and 2 years in a leading hand position
- A sound understanding of the responsibilities undertaken by civil labourers
- Have an understanding of relevant legislation including EBA’s and Awards
- Have access to a network of subcontractors and suppliers
- Have a proven track record training and developing site staff