Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
Safety is at the forefront of everything we do, our mantra is 'safe today to enjoy tomorrow' we're looking for a coordinator who is passionate about all thinks HSEQ in the workplace and is capable of driving our postive safety culture across our business.
The objective of a HSEQ Manager is to:
- Develop, maintain, and ensure implementation of the Company’s health and safety management system as well as the Company’s quality management system and associated accreditations
- Be a key advisory resource to the Company on both industry best practice and legislative requirements in this field.
Responsibilities of the role include:
Develop and manage Symal Infrastructure HSEQ systems:
- Develop best practice systems tailored specifically for the business that ensure Symal Infrastructure meets or exceeds its legislative requirements
- Manage and implement all relevant policies endorsed under the Symal Infrastructure integrated management system
- Monitor and update Symal Infrastructure HSEQ systems and proforma including but not limited to the integrated project management plan, incident management plan and Symal Infrastructure permits to work
- Conduct weekly HSEQ audits of project sites to ensure projects are meeting Symal Infrastructure and legislative standards
- Manage close out of audit actions with project teams including any necessary corrective actions plans
- Distribute project audit schedule and manage project teams to conduct their monthly audits
- Maintain knowledge of current legislation, industry standards, and best practice
- Support the business in implementing systems and assist in the management of industry and community issues / trends eg. fatigue, mental health, drug, and alcohol
- Collate and present the monthly report to the Construction Manager, executive leadership team and the Board on HSEQ performance including the Board report and the construction safety report
Incident management: Manage HSEQ incident response and investigations across the Company to ensure the best care to all employees and interested parties. Protect the interests of Symal Infrastructure and share lessons learnt.
- Lead incident cause analysis method incident investigations for all incidents classified as reportable or that fall into the following categories: C1, PC1, C2, PC2, or as required by the Manager
- Establish root cause controls and suitable preventative measures based on the highest level of hierarchy of controls
- Report and liaise with regulatory authorities within timeframes stipulated by legislation
- Hold and lead incident close out meetings for all C1, PC1, C2, and PC2 determined to have some negligence involved through the incident investigation
- Advise and manage project teams to run incident investigations that fall into the following categories: C3, PC3, C4, and C5
- Action injury response and management efficiently and compassionately to ensure the best possible outcome
- In conjunction with human resources and under the direction of the Return to Work Coordinators and Return to Work Manager, support the return to work process for injured workers
- Create and distribute flash reports for all C1, PC1, C2, and PC2 incidents
- Create and distribute relevant information from industry that is applicable to Symal Infrastructure works
- Report incidents to relevant senior personnel within Symal Infrastructure as per the incident management plan and the agreed timeframes
Stakeholder relationship: proactively build strong client relationships that position Symal Infrastructure for repeat work. Create a direct line to the Client’s HSEQ team(s) to provide support / assistance / assurance if site issues arise.
- Attend tender interviews as requested, fully prepared to present on expected content
- Engage with the Client’s project and HSEQ representatives as required and occasionally, on an informal basis
- Engage with stakeholder groups as required
- Attend client meetings regarding HSEQ including but not limited to client forums, safety audits, risk workshops, pre-commencement meetings, and incident investigations
- Engage or request attendance for the Client’s HSEQ representatives to be involved in Symal Infrastructure safety audits, risk workshops, pre-commencement meetings, and incident investigations
- Ensure all Symal Infrastructure employees understand client expectations and system application from a HSEQ perspective.
Quality management system: develop and maintain the Symal Infrastructure quality management system to ensure Symal Infrastructure minimises rework and meets or exceeds all requirements as per our project specifications to the satisfaction of our clients.
- Develop and maintain the Symal Infrastructure quality management system across the business including but not limited to project specific inspection and test plan’s, work method statements, and all requirements under ISO9001
- Increase awareness (internal training of employees) and reporting of quality related incidents
- Accurately track non-conformance reports and the effects across the business
- Train project teams in their requirements across the quality management system
- Ensure actions from non-conformance reports are closed out and implemented across the business, as necessary
- Audit projects against both the Symal Infrastructure quality management system and specific project specification
Environmental management system: develop and maintain the Symal Infrastructure environmental management system to ensure Symal Infrastructure meet all requirements as per project specifications and EPA / legislative requirements.
- Develop and maintain the Symal Infrastructure environmental management system across the business including, but not limited to, environmental management plans, sustainability reporting, and meeting project specific requirements
- Train project teams in their requirements relevant to the Symal Infrastructure environmental management system
- Audit projects against both the Symal Infrastructure environmental management system and project specifications
- Provide monthly environmental reports on all incidents and statistics across the Company
- Investigate industry leading technology / techniques to improve Symal Infrastructure’ environmental management system and practices.
Management and leadership: it is a key requirement of a HSEQ Manager to develop the Symal Infrastructure project team around them and hold them accountable to meet their requirements.
- Manage and train the HSEQ Coordinator in all their responsibilities as per their position description
- Lead all HSEQ performance reviews under your management
- Give guidance to all project staff including site staff
- Ensure the Symal Infrastructure process is standardised across all projects
- Follow up and ensure all training and development agreed in performance reviews are undertaken
- Set clear roles and responsibilities for your project teams, outlining not just the deliverables but timeframes and the method in which you want tasks delivered in respect to HSEQ
- In conjunction with senior management, undertake performance management process with staff not meeting these requirements
- Provide 360 degree feedback on project management staff HSEQ performance
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- Approximately 10 years relevant construction experience
- Certificate IV in WHS
- A prerequisite requirement of a HSEQ Manager is that they understand and can complete all the requirements of the HSEQ Coordinator/Advisor position. This includes completing all training requirements of that position.
- Have a sound understanding of relevant legislation, EBAs and Awards
- Strong attention to detail
- Impeccable time management skills
- Ablity to communicate and develop rapport with a diverse range of employees across the business
If you meet the above skills/experience and you're exceptionally organised, thorough and enjoy working as part of a dedicated team that strives to improve safety efficiencies, please apply now!
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.