Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
The objective of a Senior Project Engineer is to manage and coordinate projects efficiently, safely, and profitably.
Responsibilities of the role include:
Manage the program of all projects under your supervision, inclusive of the planning to deliver and resource the project, as well as the management of the contractual program.
- Ensure all claimable extension of time are identified and administered as per the contract
- Set clear target program objectives for the project team (Foreman, Project Engineer, and Site Engineer) and monitor against performance
- Ensure systems are established to monitor critical program activities ie. productivity tracking
- Establish and maintain the procurement program so that no procurement items cause delay in the program
Maximise profitability of projects and ensure projects are delivered in accordance with contract requirements.
- Deliver all procurement in accordance with the Symal Infrastructure procurement procedure
- Ensure commercial risks and opportunities are identified and managed
- Ensure the project is administered in accordance with the contract with all notices / claims submitted in appropriate timeframes and to the Symal Infrastructure standard.
- Ensure no works are completed on unsecured revenue
- Ensure key productivity driven tasks are identified / monitored and tracked to ensure maximum efficiency
- Complete detailed cost to complete in Expert Estimation each month
Build strong client relationships that position Symal Infrastructure for repeat work.
- Establish client drivers and put processes in place as to how we are going to meet these expectations
- Ensure the project lead (whether it be the Project Manager or Senior Project Engineer) is the first point of contact for any issues or disputes regarding their projects
- Ensure client’s expectations are met regarding the level of supervision and management required for the project
- Meet the Client’s expectations regarding their systems, processes, and reporting
- Work with clients to maintain industrial relation requirements of the project
- Ensure all client notices are verbally communicated before submission
Manage site safety and environmental compliance on the project
- Deliver projects safely in accordance with the Client’s systems and the Symal Infrastructure safety program
- Demonstrate leadership in safety by being actively involved in:
- Toolboxes and prestart
- Safe work method statement development
- Manage high risk works
- Conduct safety audits onsite at least monthly
- Conduct safety walks at least weekly
- Identify high risk activities and work with OH&S Managers to develop detailed work method statements to control the risk in line with the Symal Infrastructure safety program
- Meet all reporting requirements regarding the incident management plan
Overall management of quality assurance across the project to ensure a high-quality project is delivered with minimal reworks.
- Ensure work method statements are written and followed to control all high risk items
- Ensure all non-conformance reports are captured including rework costs and systems are put in place to prevent reoccurrence
- Carry out the inspection and test plan process on all projects
- Track all non-conformance reports.
Management & Leadership:
Develop, mentor and manage your infrastructure project engineering team and hold them accountable to meet their responsibilities
- Manage and train Site Engineers and Project Engineers in all their responsibilities as per their position descriptions
- Lead all Site Engineer and Project Engineer performance reviews under your management
- Give guidance to all project staff including site staff
- Ensure the Symal Infrastructure process is standardised across Senior Project Engineer projects
- Follow up and ensure all training and development agreed in performance reviews are undertaken
- Set clear roles and responsibilities for your project team, outlining not just the deliverables, but timeframes and the method in which you want tasks delivered
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years relevant civil construction experience
- Have a sound understanding of relevant legislation including EBA’s and Awards
- Knowledge of Expert Estimation preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of Jobpac preferred but not essential.
- Excellent stakeholder management experience
If you can demonstrate your ability to undertake the above responsibilities we want to hear from you!
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.