Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
Safety is at the forefront of everything we do, our mantra is 'safe today to enjoy tomorrow' we're looking for a coordinator who is passionate about all thinks HSEQ in the workplace and is capable of driving our postive safety culture across our business.
Contribute to the development, maintenance, and implementation of the Company’s HSEQ management system for all construction activities undertaken. Be a key educating resource for employees on both industry best practice and legislative compliance requirements.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the role include:
Develop, maintain, and implement Symal Infrastructure HSEQ systems
- Research / maintain knowledge of current HSEQ legislation, industry standards. and best practice
- Contribute to the development of and promote best practice systems tailored specifically for the business to ensure Symal
- Infrastructure meets or exceeds its legislative requirements
- Adhere to and educate employees on all relevant policies and processes endorsed under the Symal Infrastructure integrated management system
- Monitor and update the Symal Infrastructure integrated project management plan and associated proforma (excluding incident management plan) with consultation and approval by the HSEQ Manager
- Ensure that elements of the integrated project management plan or Symal Infrastructure HSEQ management systems responsible to be implemented by HSEQ team resources (ie. activity method statement reviews) are completed to the Symal Infrastructure standard
- Educate and mentor project team members required to implement elements of the integrated project management plan or HSEQ management systems to achieve the Symal Infrastructure standard
- Conduct regular site inspections and HSEQ audits (minimum 4 audits per month) of project sites to ensure projects are meeting
- Symal Infrastructure and legislative standards
- Possess a visible and felt presence in the field engaging all employees and subcontractors to ensure activities are performed safely and offer support where required
- Support close out of audit actions with the project team including any necessary corrective actions plans
- Distribute project audit schedule and manage project teams to conduct their monthly audits
- Collect data required for the monthly report delivered to the Construction Manager, executive leadership team and the Board on
- HSEQ performance including the Board report and the construction safety report
- Ensure Symal Infrastructure maintains HSEQ compliance to existing accreditation schemes including Federal Safety Accreditation, ISO14001, ISO9001, AS/NZ4801, Vic Roads prequalification or other relevant accreditations. Contribute to and / or facilitate audits to ensure ongoing accreditation to these schemes.
- Support the business in implementing:
Health monitoring systems
Industry / community health and wellbeing initiatives
- Train and audit the project team to ensure project specific onboarding, compliance management systems, and / or requirements are satisfied
- Train and support project team members in the application of Symal Infrastructure and / or client compliance management systems (including but not limited to – Hammertech, RIW, and 3Dsafety)
- Communicate project specific onboarding and compliance requirements to the Training and Compliance Coordinator
- Identify training needs, design, and conduct training to effectively implement the Symal Infrastructure integrated management system and drive compliance
- Investigate industry leading technology / techniques to improve Symal Infrastructure’ HSEQ management system and practices.
Incident management: manage HSEQ incident response and investigations across the Company to ensure the best care to all employees and interested parties. Protect the interests of Symal Infrastructure and share lessons learnt.
- Contribute to Incident Cause Analysis Method incident investigations for all incidents classified as reportable or that fall into the following categories: C1, PC1, C2, PC2, or as required by the Manager
- Establish root cause controls and suitable preventative measures based on the hierarchy of control
- Report and liaise with regulatory authorities within timeframes stipulated by legislation or as instructed by the Manager
- Assist and advise project teams to manage and report on incident investigations that fall into the following categories: C3, PC3, C4, and C5
- Action injury response and management efficiently and compassionately to ensure the best possible outcome
- In conjunction with HSEQ Manager and under the direction of the Return to Work Manager Coordinators, support the return to work process for injured workers
- Create and distribute HSEQ alerts for C1, PC1, C2, and PC2 incidents as instructed
- Create and distribute relevant information from the industry that is applicable to Symal Infrastructure works
- Report incidents to the HSEQ Manager as per the incident management plan and the agreed timeframes.
Stakeholder relationship: proactively build strong client relationships that position Symal Infrastructure for repeat work. Create a direct line to the Client’s HSEQ team(s) to provide support / assistance / assurance if site issues arise.
- Engage with the Client’s HSEQ representatives as required and occasionally, on an informal basis
- Engage with stakeholder groups as required
- Attend client meetings regarding HSEQ including but not limited to client forums, safety audits, risk workshops, pre-commencement meetings, and incident investigations
- Engage or request attendance for the Client’s HSEQ representatives to be involved in Symal Infrastructure safety audits, risk workshops, pre-commencement meetings, and incident investigations
- Ensure all Symal Infrastructure employees understand client expectation’s and system application from a HSEQ perspective.
Training, management, and leadership: it is a key requirement of a HSEQ Advisor to support the development of Symal Infrastructure employees and / or subcontractors and hold them accountable to meet their required standards in the field.
- Support and mentor HSEQ Coordinators and construction team members to positively influence their role development, values, and behaviours
- Educate employees and subcontractors on Symal Infrastructure HSEQ systems and associated topics
- Champion compliance management systems such as Hammertech, RIW, and 3Dsafety to provide the required support / education to construction team members
- Follow up and ensure all training and development agreed in performance reviews is undertaken by the HSEQ Coordinator
- In conjunction with senior management, undertake performance management processes with staff not meeting these requirements
- Provide feedback on employee / subcontractor HSEQ performance.
Qualifications, skills / knowledge
- Approximately two – three years relevant construction experience
- Current Australian Driver’s Licence
- A prerequisite requirement of a HSEQ Advisor is that they understand and can complete all the requirements of the HSEQ Coordinator position. This includes completing all training requirements of that position.
- Have a sound understanding of relevant legislation, EBAs and Awards
- White Card
- Rail Industry Worker Card
- Level 2 First Aid
- Certificate IV in WHS.
If you meet the above skills/experience and you're exceptionally organised, thorough and enjoy working as part of a dedicated team that strives to improve safety efficiencies, please apply now!
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.