Grampians Excavations Pty Ltd is a well established Stawell based company with over 22 years experience in the civil construction industry, providing general earthworks and services to a wide variety of customers. Grampians undertakes project works across Victoria with an office in Stawell and Spotswood, Melbourne.
Note: This role will be Melbourne based
The objective of an Operations Manager is to coordinate plant and people to projects efficiently, safely and to budget, manage the work load of the labour force and develop relationships with clients to win additional work.
Responsibilities of the role include:
ASSET & LABOUR COORDINATION: Manage the day to day project requirements for assets and ensure there is no loss of production or changes to the project planning.
- Ensure all requests for assets are followed up within a reasonable time frame
- Update asset allocations daily to ensure every asset is traceable at all times.
- Arrange all transport requests within a reasonable timeframe.
- Alert Supervisors & Project teams of any issues that may affect production.
- Have a detailed understanding of the various specifications for all Plant (Sizes, Weights, Attachments etc) to ensure the best fit plant is select for the project.
- Trace Weekly & Monthly asset inspection forms and provide reports.
- Record/Advise/Remove from service any faulty assets.
- Coordinate with Workshop manager to ensure plant records and safety information is saved
- Coordinate with Workshop manager to ensure and permits/licenses for assets are up to date.
- Provide weekly report with locations and allocations to projects to track items.
- Provide monthly internal plant Under Utilisation report.
- Allocation of all operators to plant as requird
- Manage and approval of labour force leave, coordination to cover items of plant
- Lease with workshop manager for timing of services to minimise downtime and cost
- Review existing Grampians plant and provide update to management on current conditions and feedback from clients on downtime due to breakdown and quality
- Review operator time sheets weekly prior to pay run and resolve pay disputes with staff
SUBCONTRACTOR PLANT COORDINATION: Manage the day to day project requirements for wet hire requirements and ensure there is no loss of production or changes to the project planning.
- Ensure all requests for wet hire are followed up within a reasonable time frame.
- Ensure that Civilex Plant is incorporated into plant contracting
- Endusre rates are agreed and purchase orders are in place with subcontractors detailed all site spefic requirements and allowances
- Have a detailed understanding of the various specifications for all equipment (Sizes, Weights, Attachments etc) to ensure the best fit plant is select for the project.
- Ensure equipment meets any site-specific safety/induction requirements.
- Alert Supervisors & Project teams of any issues that may affect production.
- Alert management of any long-term hire requirements and potential opportunities to purchase plant.
- Provide weekly report with locations and allocations to projects to track items, prioritise utilisation of Grampians plant.
- Engage key suppliers, maintain relationships, ensure company compliance and correct works or plant hire contracts are put in place.
- Review rates on a regular basis to ensure market competitiveness and company margins are maintained.
- Obtain and review all subcontractors insurances & safety documentation prior to mobilising to site
INCIDENT INVESTIGTAION, CLAIMS & REPAIRS:
- Lead all Asset damages incident investigations for all incidents occurred.
- Asses all damages to Assets and decide if claim will be an insured claim or if Grampians is to repair at its own costs.
- Liaise with Civilex asset department for all insurance claims
- Raise Grampians staff reimbursements for excesses paid on their behalf and provide to the Finance and Civilex Group asset department
- Co-ordinate all repairs with workshop manager to minimise downtime of plant and equipment onsite
- Co-ordinate strategic plan with Workshop Manager & Director as to major repairs due to general breakdowns
- Complete tool box’s with staff in regards to safety incidents and machine duty of care
SUPERVISION / AUDIT OF CONTRACT WORKS:
- Ensure that contract works are delivered safely in accordance with client’s systems and Grampians safety policy and integrated project management plan
- Demonstrate leadership in safety by auditing & maintaining the following is completed
- Toolboxes – a minimum of 1 toolbox per site per week
- Pre-starts – Ensure detailed pre-start to be complete daily covering of all specific activities, risk and hazards associated with the planned works.
- SWMS Development – All activities to be covered under a specific SWMS to the task.
- Site Risk Assessments - Development, implementation and management of site risk register and controls prior to commencing project
- Conducting Weekly Safety Walks – A Minimum of 1 submission per week
- Conducting Weekly Environmental Walks - A minimum of 1 submission per week to OHSE Manager
- Identify High risk activities and work and develop detailed Work Method Statements to control the risk
- Ensure site teams has a detailed understanding of the client and stakeholder’s minimum requirements and process.
- Audit and enforce subcontractor’s safety performance.
- ITP process must be managed and closed out on all projects to the client’s requirements.
- All defects or rework must have a NCR’s attached and signed off by the work group.
- Manage subcontractors and suppliers to Grampians quality standards, ensuring ITP’s completed, hold points witnessed, defected recorded and closed out.
CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: Build strong client relationships that position Grampians for repeat work
- Establish Client’s key drivers and put processes in place as to how we are going to meet these expectations
- Ensure all clinet calls are returned in a timley manour and Grampians are first point of call for all cleints.
- Keep in weekly contact with clients to maintain being first point of contact for additional plant
- Ensure we understand the client’s culture and values and communicate this with all staff.
- Understand the client’s challenges and workshop solutions that are best for project.
- Ensure clients expectations are met in regard to the level of supervision and management required for the tasks on site.
- Lease with clients to maintain Industrial Relation requirements.
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP: It is a key requirement to develop the team around them and hold them accountable to meet there requirements
- Coordinate training and upskilling of operators
- Coordinate roll out of new procedure’s to site staff and provide clear communication with staff during implementation of new processes and developments within the bussiness
- Provide an open door policy and inpiring culture
- Follow up and ensure all training and development for site staff is completed as agreed
- Set clear roles, responsibilities and time-frames for all deliverables and the method in which you want tasks delivered.
- Undertake performance management process with staff when required.
- Undertake approved external development training
- Manage in conjunction with client requirements to ensure training and development is occurring through all site staff.
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent (preferred)
- A minimum 10 years relevant construction experience
- Have a sound understanding of typical construction specifications used in the Victorian construction industry
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Attention to detail and strong time management skills
- Demonstrated experience delivering civil infrastructure projects
- Ability to mentor, train and support Engineers and supervisors
The ideal candidate will be excited knowing no day will be the same, enjoys a fast-paced environment, is career driven and looking to grow with, and contribute to the growth and success of the business. In return, the incumbent will have an opportunity to put their operational management skills into practice with the trust and support of the senior leadership team to make this role their own.
If you can demonstrate your ability to undertake the above responsibilities we want to hear from you!
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.