Symal is a dynamic infrastructure and construction group providing innovative solutions for a diverse range of clients across Australia. A cohesive team of specialists with unique skills and capabilities, we cover the construction spectrum – from building to civil infrastructure, concrete structures, rail, bridges, plant hire, earthworks and property development. Together, we’re setting a new benchmark for collaboration, innovation, engineering and outstanding delivery for the construction industry.
We are looking to appoint an experienced Operations Manager within the Symal Infrastructure business. Reporting to the General Manager and based at our Spotswood head office, this key leadership role will see you providing support, guidance and direction to project delivery teams under your remit.
As Operations Manager, you will have operational oversight of several projects ranging from $1+ to $80m+ in value. You will assist in managing resources, client relationships, adherence to Symal’s procedures across projects, and lead a safety-first culture. Working in the senior leadership team, your involvement in business planning and profitable project delivery strategies will play a crucial part in this role.
What will you be Accountable for?
- Ensuring understanding and implementation of appropriate financial procedures and systems
- Cost control, reviewing monthly project forecasts and interrogating forecasting costs to complete as required
- Working with the Project Management team to assist with the recruitment and redeployment of staff within your function
- Leading in consultation with management to enhance productivity and take corrective action where necessary for optimal business performance
- Leading by example in respect to safety aspects in the company and promoting the safety culture of the organisation
- Clearly establishing and managing performance expectations to ensure team members understand their roles and responsibilities, ensuring performance reviews are completed across the region.
To be successful in this role, ideally you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent (preferred)
- Experience in the civil contracting industry in a regional Construction Manager, Operations Manager or Project Director position overseeing or leading projects greater than $50m
- Financial/Commercial acumen; proven ability to plan, negotiate and deliver profitable commercial outcomes across multiple construction projects
- The ability to lead; building highly motivated teams around you and your project managers
At Symal, we believe in fostering partnerships today to create a better tomorrow.
We demonstrate genuine care for each other and our environment. As a company built on family values, we respect the views and opinions of others and work hard to create a positive, inclusive, and safe environment for all our people.
Committed to building an engaged and talented workforce, staff incentives include:
- Tailored professional development opportunities for career advancement
- Opportunities to work on a wide variety of exciting and complex projects
- Annual social calendar of activities and events
- Bonus leave days including your birthday off and a wellbeing day
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring and leadership programs that connect you directly to Symal’s senior leaders
We’re proud to have some of the best in the game working for us, hired for their proven skills and experience. Come join us!