- Based at Geelong Waterfront or Burwood Campus, plus Work From Home
- Full-time, Continuing position
- HEW 6 $82,494 - $89,087 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Senior Officer reports to the Practice Manager in the Office of General Counsel. The OGC provides legal advice to Council, the Vice-Chancellor, the Executive, managers, academic and general staff of the University and its affiliate companies. The Office provides independent and objective advice to the University to add value, reduce risk and provide assurance in relation to all legal matters.
The Senior Officer is expected to build and maintain positive professional relationships with key stakeholders of the OGC. The position contributes to the delivery of professional services and undertakes a range of systems and general administration tasks, including the provision of information, general advice, technology support and document management system administration duties.
Candidates with a legal or higher education administration background, who can manage competing demands and prioritise effectively, are encouraged to apply. If you are attentive to detail and enjoy the structure of complying with document styles, standards and other conventions, you will relish this position. The ideal candidate will bring a willingness to learn, and capacity to adapt to new ways of working. Your computer literacy and ease in using new and unfamiliar applications will stand you in good stead for making amendments to the website via SharePoint and for programming the document generation system that produces Deakin’s standard Agreements.
Your key responsibilities will include the requirement to:
- Provide the Office of General Counsel with appropriate operational administrative support to achieve outcomes aligned to the University’s strategic goals. This includes management of General Counsel’s schedules and support with the preparation of documentation for the Legislation Committee, including preparation of legislation approved by Council
- Coordinate requests for legal advice to the Office of General Counsel, investigate and probe for the facts and identify relevant solutions and select the most appropriate allocation of matters to Solicitors.
- Provide advice and information to stakeholders through the drafting of legal documents and correspondence
- Perform the role of application owner and office systems administrator for the Office of General Counsel’s software systems ensuring that systems are maintained, records are accurate and kept up-to-date, and that systems and processes meet the needs of the Office and the wider Deakin staff community. Lead software upgrade and enhancement projects in conjunction with Digital Services and external stakeholders.
- Coach staff on the use of Office of General Counsel’s software systems and assist in the delivery of standard form agreement.
- Provide general information technology support in relation to university systems, software and equipment utilised by the office.
- Communicate with confidence using examples and the most appropriate influencing technique for a given situation to increase understanding and support on the application and interpretation of relevant policies and procedures
- Deliver a range of general office administrative duties to support the efficient and effective management of the office
- Work with team members to facilitate growth and development by giving balanced, constructive feedback
- Build new and productive relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders or key and influential individuals both inside and outside the University
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A Degree with subsequent relevant experience; or
- Extensive experience and specialist knowledge or broad knowledge in technical or administrative fields; or
- An equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Experience using a document management system and/or records management system.
- Experience performing a similar role within a large, complex business environment or within a law firm.
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills, in particular strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to deal with all levels of staff in a confident and professional manner.
- Demonstrated high level computer literacy skills in a range of products and applications, including Microsoft products, internet applications and corporate applications, as well as the ability to quickly gain a working knowledge of unfamiliar products or applications.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity, confidentiality and diplomacy at all times
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD - Senior Officer 524686.pdf
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role by Thursday 25 August 2022
To arrange a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Shirley Rooney via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.