The Strategic Intelligence and Planning Unit (SIPU) is part of the CFO Portfolio. We provide timely and accurate information to the University for planning and managerial decision-making, administer essential University surveys, coordinate compliance reporting activities and provide advice on data-related issues.
The Strategic Intelligence and Planning Unit (SIPU) Team:
You will work with a collaborative, inclusive and happy team who work hard to ensure they have a fantastic culture. SIPU staff have high-level skills and knowledge in the fields of data analysis and reporting, forecasting and modelling, survey administration and design, statistics and much more. They provide insight related information to assist members of the University with decision-making and continuous quality improvement.
- Full-time Fixed Term 18 Month Contract
- Starting Salary of $98,322.00 + 17% Superannuation (HEW 8)
- Located at our Deakin Geelong Waterfront Campus
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a skilled researcher to join our team in Geelong. This position would suit someone looking to further develop their career in data analysis and reporting of large scale survey and social data.
The Senior Surveys Officer is an integral member of the Institutional Research and Surveys area within SIPU. This role supports the Manager, Institutional Research and Surveys and is responsible for the coordination, reporting and analysis of internal and external large scale student surveys.
The person we are looking for will have excellent statistical skills (preferably in SPSS). It could suit someone with extensive quantitative research and/or from a science, social science or psychology background. You will have the opportunity to work in a high performing team and must be able to engage with staff from faculties as well as executive, and external agencies.
The curiosity and motivation to learn new skills and be both a part of a collaborative team as well as work independently is essential. This role includes opportunities for learning and expanding your skills in reporting, data visualization, Tableau and other areas. SIPU supports staff training and it is a great opportunity to develop your career further.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- analyse survey data and provide timely reports for senior staff and other audiences as appropriate
- coordinate the University’s core surveys, with a focus on those associated with the Quality Indicators in Learning and Teaching (QILT)
- manage and schedule resources to ensure that survey timetables and deadlines are adhered to
- continually improve centralised databases and reporting processes for the efficient and effective coordination of distribution of survey results. This includes the use of web-based technologies
- interpret and implement university policy and procedure in relation to Deakin surveys as well as external survey guidelines and data sharing agreements
- use the appropriate methodology to analyse the data and identify areas of statistical significance
- continue to build relationships with external agencies (such as the Social Research Centre) and external suppliers regarding survey-related requirements. Represent the University at national meetings and forums and make submissions on behalf of the University related to survey matters when required
- undertake research to inform operational or strategic plans, and management decision-making
To be successful, you’ll have:
- a higher education degree, preferably in a quantitative discipline, with subsequent relevant experience; or extensive experience and specialist knowledge associated with surveys
- experience in the use of SPSS statistical software and survey Design
- recent experience in the analysis and management of surveys, and descriptive and inferential statistics
- experience and demonstrated skills in developing and writing reports that convey complex statistical information tailored appropriately to the audience, including senior management and committees
- ability to work as part of a high performing team and independently and to build relationships with a range of stakeholders at Deakin and in key external agencies
- demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and manage sensitive information
Are You Ready?
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities – agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people’s lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let’s see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third party suppliers.
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD - Senior Surveys Officer.pdf
Applications for this position close on 2 June 2019.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.