Job no: 515080
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Agriculture & Life Sciences
Department: School of Plant & Environmental Sci
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Agriculture / Life Science, Other, Research / Scientific
The School of Plant and Environmental Science at Virginia Tech is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral associate to conduct research in modeling longitudinal growth and development and complex genotype-by-environment interactions in soft red winter wheat. The applicant would be a key part of a multi-disciplinary team with partners in other plant breeding research institutions and industry partners working in wheat, alfalfa, maize, cotton, soybean and canola. The successful applicant is expected to apply advanced modeling techniques to phenotypic, genomic and environmental data to estimate genetic parameters related to plant responses to environmental stresses and lead all aspects of sample analyses, UAV flights and management of wheat trials at Virginia Tech research stations. The position is anticipated to start in April 2021. The individual will be supervised by Dr. Nicholas Santantonio in the School of Plant and Environmental Sciences.
- Ph.D. in plant or animal breeding, population or quantitative genetics, statistics, computer science or computation-related fields with an interest in plant breeding applications. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Ability to work as a team member, excellent communication skills, demonstrated ability to present information in public forums, excellent time management and organizational skills, and the ability to work safely in an agricultural environment.
- Must have or be willing to acquire an FAA Part 107 drone pilot license within 1 to 2 months or a time frame agreed upon at hire. Funds to apply for a license will be provided.
- Incumbent must be willing to travel for up to two weeks for data collection at research and extension centers in eastern VA.
- Knowledge of mixed models, longitudinal modeling, sequence alignment and variant calling methods, proximal sensing and significant programing proficiency in a suitable scientific language (Python, Julia, R, C, C++, Fortran, etc.).
- Knowledge or familiarity of crop management, crop genetics, and field research techniques.
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Nicholas Santantonio at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend