Electrician - Rounding Team
Job no: 515945
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Facilities Operations
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
Reporting to the Preventative Maintenance Supervisor, this position is responsible for performing maintenance, inspection, troubleshooting, installation and repair of a variety of commercial/institutional building electrical systems and equipment of up to and including 480 VAC. Building electrical systems and equipment to be serviced includes but is not limited to motors and associated controls, lighting systems, panelboards, breakers, wiring, transformers, and variable frequency drives. Assists mechanical/plumbing and building trades staff as requested and responds to emergency callbacks for service on a rotating basis.
• Current Virginia Journey or Master level license as an Electrician; OR current Journey or Master level licensing agreement (reciprocity) from anther jurisdiction as approved by the Virginia Board for Contractors and obtain a Virginia license through reciprocity within 6 months; OR the ability to obtain Virginia Electrician's license within 11 months of employment if the previous licensing requirements do not apply.
• Experience working in a large commercial or institutional setting in the maintenance, inspection and repair of building electrical systems up to and including 480VAC.
• Working knowledge of National Electrical Code.
• Working knowledge of a variety of technical documents such as blueprints, technical drawings, sketches, schematics, specification records, and operating and maintenance manuals.
• Record keeping experience such as processing work orders and/or tracking inventory.
• Candidate should be able to perform routine electrical tasks.
• Ability to recognize and understand industry terminologies of multiple trades.
• Ability to use a computer, keep accurate and complete records.
• Ability to perform work with minimal margin of error and work independently with little or no supervision.
• Ability to communicate effectively; work as an effective team member; and to receive and execute instructions from the immediate supervisor and /or lead worker.
• Maintenance experience with electrical systems in a large commercial or institutional setting.
• Good working knowledge of electrical systems including fluorescent dimming systems and variable frequency drives.
• Experience in a computerized work order/inventory management system.
• Current Virginia Journey or Master level license in electrical trade.
Posting will remain active until the position is filled; preference will be given to submissions received prior to 8/9/2021.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations Human Resources at Opshremail@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend