Job no: 516257
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Science
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty
Instructional faculty at the rank of instructor. The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of continuation dependent upon performance and availability of funding. Duties will include teaching and grading for undergraduate courses in mathematics and providing departmental service, such as student mentoring.
The successful candidate will have
• M.S. in Mathematics, or a related discipline, by date of hire, with a minimum of 18 semester hours of graduate courses in mathematics.
• Experience teaching college-level mathematics courses.
• Effective communications skills.
• Willingness to learn basic technology (e.g., Canvas)
• Experience teaching college-level courses as the primary instructor.
• Documented outstanding effectiveness teaching in a curriculum, like that offered by Virginia Tech Mathematics Department, designed to serve a large, diverse group of university students in engineering and the sciences.
• Potential to teach upper division undergraduate courses.
• Potential to contribute to curriculum development.
• Familiarity with teaching-related technology useful for online/distance learning.
• Experience teaching courses online in formats compatible with the Virginia Tech mathematics curriculum.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check. All applications must include: CV, Cover Letter, Reference List, and Teaching Statement. All applicants are strongly encouraged to use Interfolio, etc. for all references in the application so that a letter of recommendation can be uploaded on the candidate's behalf by their respective reference.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Glenda Dalton at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend