Head of Support Desk Operations
Job no: 516274
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Dean of Libraries
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology, Library
Under the general direction of the Director of Information Technology Services (ITS), the Head of Support Desk Operations oversees the operations of the Service Desk team within Library ITS. The position serves the entire University Libraries system, which includes libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke, and provides technical expertise and management of the Libraries’ IT Service Desk, the central point of contact between ITS and the faculty and staff of the Library and the focal point for reporting incidents and for making service requests. The Head of Support Desk Operations provides managerial leadership and expertise in designing and planning for future development, taking into account the service strategy and newly available technologies to enhance the growth and effectiveness of the Libraries’ services.
The Head of Support Desk Operations leads and/or oversees the following support services:
- Responsible for overseeing and performing as needed all Service Desk operations, including tier 1 support, incident escalation and routing, operating procedure documentation, support phone coverage and scheduling, and management of the physical Service Desk space.
- Works closely with the Asset Manager, the Head of Desktop, and the Purchasing Department to ensure equipment purchase requests are in line with library technology standards and that these hardware requests are fulfilled in accordance with university policy and purchasing procedures.
- Works with library HR and administrative support to ensure technology asset assignment and distribution during employee onboarding and offboarding is conducted in an efficient and timely manner.
- Oversees asset management by supervising the Asset Coordinator to ensure all library technology assets are properly recorded and tracked. This position will also act as a library point of contact for University Fixed Assets.
- Participates in the department’s plan to continually improve support services through regular reporting on current operations, assessing the efficiency of current support services, and providing improvement recommendations.
- Responsible for Support Services employee training and supervision.
- Evaluates ITSM system components for use in library business operations, recommends implementation or decommissioning projects, acts as technical lead on these projects, supplies regular assessment on effectiveness and recommendations for improvements to components in use. This includes maintaining an up-to-date Service Catalog with appropriate workflows, approvals, and request items.
- Works in collaboration with and as a liaison to the university ServiceNow support team within the VT Division of Information Technology to ensure all library interactions taking place in ServiceNow remain up to date and compatible with central system settings and updates.
- Collaborate with subunits within IT Operations and Archive and Technology Support to create catalog items to collect information for IT Service Requests.
The Head of Support Desk Operations may serve on other Library committees as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, information science, or another field with directly related experience and expertise in IT service management.
- Proven record of customer service excellence, and the ability to inspire service excellence in staff.
- Must possess strong analytical, interpersonal and problem-solving skills as well as exceptionally strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in IT customer service and service management.
- Experience providing in person and remote Tier I technology support, including resolving basic end-user computer issues and determining the appropriate time to and appropriate path for escalation to the next level support group(s).
- Ability to lead and manage diverse groups of IT professionals to accomplish both short and long-range IT projects on time and on budget with minimal guidance.
- ITIL Certification
- Demonstrated capacity for advanced strategic thinking in the area of IT service management, especially with regard to higher education environments.
- Advanced business analysis, project management, and/or planning skills or certification.
- Experience with procedural documentation.
- Working knowledge of knowledge management within an IT service management system.
- Experience with enterprise service and desktop management systems, like ServiceNow, TeamDynamix, or JAMF, and BigFix, SCCM, or InTune.
A/P faculty Lecturer, regular full-time appointment
$60,000 minimum dependent on education and qualifications
- The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
- Requires valid driver’s license in good standing
- Must be willing to travel as needed to the University Libraries branches for support, these include branch libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke. Travel to these areas will be on a limited basis.
The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commits to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend