Associate Director, Animal Care & Operations
Job no: 517157
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Animal Care
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Research / Scientific, Veterinary Medicine, Medical Professionals
Oversees and directs the daily operations and the provision of animal husbandry and care across all ARCD managed animal facilities in compliance with federal regulations (e.g., AWA and AWRs), PHS Policy, AAALAC accreditation standards (e.g., the Guide), and institutional policies, procedures, and practices.
Oversees the human resource processes of Animal Care & Operations including but not limited to recruitment, training and development, performance management, reducing employee turnover, succession planning and retention of high performers, developing and maintaining improved customer relationships, strategic planning and organization development.
Directs, mentors, and provides guidance to ARCD supervisors and managers.
Actively contributes as a member of the ARCD leadership team that makes executive level decisions and establishes program wide policies, practices, and procedures for the organization.
• Advanced degree or Bachelor’s Degree with significant professional experience
• Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level.
• Strong working knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act and Regulations, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and the PHS Policy.
• Solid working knowledge and conceptual understanding of animal facility design, infrastructure, and HVAC systems.
• Demonstrated experience working with a variety of animal species in an animal research or animal production facility
• Ability to work directly with a variety of laboratory animal species including but not limited to rodents, rabbits, companion animals, agriculture animals, and aquatics.
• Demonstrated management experience overseeing operational and personnel.
• Proficient computer skills including the ability to utilize common applications (e.g., email, word processing, spreadsheets) and software.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to find solutions to own problems and resolve conflict.
• Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Certified Manager Animal Resources (CMAR) level.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check and driving check completed.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kaitlin Winfree at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend