Wireless Network Architect
Job no: 517543
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Telework Eligible, Blacksburg Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. We provide the infrastructure and platforms to enable numerous services and teams across the university. Come build with us!
The Wireless Network Architect position is vital to ensuring robust design and successful implementation of complex mobile wireless network systems in support of NI&S and Virginia Tech information technology initiatives. The successful candidate will have a strong wireless network engineering background with demonstrated ability to lead end-to-end design efforts, including architecting key elements of the solution, evaluating technical options, and leading cross-functional teams towards a final solution while keeping all of the organization’s key stakeholders apprised. This person will possess the technical understanding and astuteness to analyze requests quickly, identify pivotal technical elements, and work with cross-functional teams and our partners to craft winning solutions. The architect will bring a solutions-oriented perspective with the agility and insight to explore and evaluate multiple solution options while ensuring progress towards identified goals. This person will be adept at connecting people (from individuals up through departments) who may otherwise operate in isolation, and enabling personnel to look at the enterprise as a whole to measure alignment to business processes and standards. In addition, this role will be responsible for translating program/project strategies and business goals into detailed requirements, designing and driving the development of solutions to meet customer and business needs, and scoping and prioritizing activities based on business and customer impact.
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or a related technical discipline, or equivalent work experience in a related field
● Significant design/test/implementation/consulting experience with information technology systems at scale
● Experience in a technical leadership or architectural role
● Extensive knowledge of 802.11 wireless standards, technologies, methodologies, and security practices
● Extensive experience and knowledge of Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) protocols such as RADIUS and IEEE 802.1X standards
● Knowledge of radio frequency fundamentals and experience with propagation and capacity planning
● Extensive knowledge of networking fundamentals and practices including network design
● Experience serving in a strategic role, particularly in relation to business, product, and technical challenges
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills with the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams
● Experience and proficiency with development tools, version control, configuration management, and API based systems integration
● Experience in reviewing the work of others for compliance with established standards and practices
● Time management, critical thinking, communications, presentation, and comprehension skills
● Must be able to quickly adjust and adapt to new, different, and changing circumstances, requirements, and priorities
● Master’s degree in engineering or technology
● Experience with CBRS technologies
● Experience with private LTE network architectures such as Multi-Operator Core Networks (MOCN) and EPC systems
● Experience with fixed wireless solutions
● Knowledge of and experience in Agile and CI/CD methodologies and processes
● Experience managing projects, planning projects, drafting and organizing project documentation, identifying and documenting risks, issues, and dependencies
● Demonstrated ability to mentor, coach, and lead others
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Travis DeGrandi at email@example.com address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend