Job no: 518218
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Utilities
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Engineering, Facilities / Skilled Trades
Reporting to the Plant Maintenance Manager, the Instrumentation/Electrical Supervisor, supervises the daily activities of the instrument technicians and electricians in the maintenance and repair of Power Plant systems. This position plans and researches new technologies to enhance plant instrumentation and electrical systems, and supervises all routine maintenance and calibration of instrumentation and electrical systems. This is a supervisory role that manages about 4-6 people depending on staffing.
• Extensive instrumentation and/or electrical education and/or equivalent training and/or experience.
• Demonstrated effective communication skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to read electrical and electronic schematic diagrams and troubleshoot electronic equipment.
• Skills in working with the tools and equipment of the electrical trade as it pertains to switching and distributing high voltage power generated in a central power plant.
• Possess the theory, application and experience in large high-pressure boilers equipped with super-heaters, economizers, dual fuel systems, pneumatic combustion controls and flame scanners associated with Power Plant process.
• Application of good safety practices around high pressure, high voltage systems (480) volts and rotating equipment.
• Ability to detect and locate causes of electrical failure and to repair breakdowns under adverse conditions on an emergency basis; take electrical meter readings, and make electrical tests as to load, response and power factors.
• Thorough knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions peculiar to this particular skill.
• Degree in process instrumentation and/or electrical technology.
• Supervisory, lead person, or experience directing the work of others in a team environment.
• Experience utilizing spreadsheet and word processing software.
• Work order system experience.
• American Society of Power Engineers (or equivalent) PO1 license or higher.
• Master electrician's license.
|• Ability to safely, frequently and independently move and handle (including pushing/pulling) items weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to climb steps and ladders up to four stories.
• Ability to work in confined spaces, in extreme heat and dusty environments.
• Work may require bending, crouching and/or kneeling, standing, sitting and walking for up to one-hour duration at a time.
• Though work is performed primarily indoors, must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
• Emergency Personnel
• Must have health and safety medical check.
• Must be able to respond to emergency call-ins, work overtime or adjust normal work schedule to meet the needs of the department.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend