Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 519326
Work type: Hourly Wage/Part-Time
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Quarry
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
Virginia Tech operates its own federally certified stone quarries. Hokie stone comes from the quarries a couple of miles from the central campus. The successful candidate will support the operation of the University Quarry by providing stone cutting, quarrying and stone blocking.
• Ability to produce stone components cut to precise specifications using mechanized and hand tool methods.
• Ability to operate hydraulic stone blocking, sawing and polishing equipment.
• Must be able to bend; stoop; and frequently, independently and safely move and handle items weighing up to 100 pounds or more, including the ability to reach, push and pull items.
• Must be able to continuously be on feet standing and walking on rocky, uneven terrain.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme hot and cold temperatures.
• This is a designated emergency personnel position
• Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license within 6 months of employment.
• Previous quarry or construction related experience.
• Familiarity with rock formation and grain principles.
• Experience as a skilled stonecutter.
Position will remain open until filled.
Must be able to bend; stoop; and frequently, independently and safely move and handle items weighing 100 pounds or more, including the ability to reach, push and pull items.
Must be able to continuously stand and walk on rocky, uneven terrain.
Emergency Personnel health &; safety related.
Alternate work schedule if other than M-F, 85 please describe below
Emergency Personnel weather related.
Work schedule is normally 7:00am3:30pm, Monday Friday; however may be required to work additional hours to meet the needs of the department.
Work is performed primarily in outdoor environment and subject to extreme temperatures (hot and cold) and other weather conditions.
Employee must use all personal protective equipment and uniforms as directed by supervisor or manager.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend