Laboratory Specialist I
Job no: 519925
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Agriculture & Life Sciences
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Agriculture / Life Science
We are currently seeking a Laboratory Specialist I to support the laboratories of Dr. Chloé Lahondère and Dr. Clément Vinauger at Virginia Tech. This person will be in charge of managing the mosquito insectary as well as general laboratory tasks. They will be carrying out daily lab tasks including maintaining the insectary and laboratory records, breeding mosquitoes, monitoring of research and assist with daily lab operations (orders and package processing). The laboratory specialist may assist the Principal Investigators (PIs) and their laboratory members with performing behavioral, biochemical and molecular biology experiments in mosquitoes. There are opportunities for independent research, attendance at professional meetings, writing manuscripts, and publication of research findings.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• A valid driver’s license
• Willing to work in laboratory, field, and insectary environments with potentially hazardous conditions (e.g. heat, chemicals, and mosquito bites)
• Ability to multi-task, and prioritize work assignments
• Ability to work independently on projects under the supervision of the PIs
• Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and maintain good working relationships
• Knowledge of basic biochemical and molecular biology techniques
• Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science, Biochemistry, Entomology or related discipline
• Experience with mosquito rearing is preferred but not required
• Have at least 1 year of experience working in a research lab
• Possess a professional interest in biological or public health research
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dr. Chloe Lahondere at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend