Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520264
Work type: Hourly Wage/Part-Time
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Utilities
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Engineering, Facilities / Skilled Trades
Reporting to the Stormwater Compliance Manager, the Environmental Technician provides technical assistance in the areas of stormwater permitting and stormwater management practices in facility construction, operations, and maintenance projects. The position assists with multiple tasks and projects that include: performing inspections of construction sites, inspecting post-construction stormwater management facilities, organizing and staffing public outreach events, developing and maintaining the stormwater management and additional public outreach material, reviewing stormwater management facility record reports, organizing and staffing public outreach events, and general office duties organizing and leading meetings with on-campus student organizations regarding the MS4 Program, developing training materials to be used in stormwater education, writing illicit discharge reports, investigating potential illicit discharge reports, nutrient credits, policies and MS4 documentation, developing operating procedures for departmental processes, reviewing Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management Plans, conducting an Outfall Reconnaissance Inventory.
• Knowledge and experience interpreting state and federal laws and regulations including Virginia stormwater management laws and regulations and Virginia erosion and sediment control laws and regulations.
• Must have a valid drivers license with good driving record.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and multitask.
• Must have or be able to obtain the following within one year of hire date: Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Combined Administrator certification for both Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management.
• Bachelor's degree in one of the following areas or related disciplines: environmental science or environmental policy and planning, civil engineering, water resources, biological systems and/or equivalent level of training/experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the aforementioned work.
• Previous experience inspecting construction sites for compliance with federal, state, or local erosion and sediment control and stormwater management requirements.
• Knowledge of the specifications of common Virginia erosion and sediment control measures.
• Previous experience interpreting and reviewing site plans and construction documents.
• Experience writing, compiling, and editing technical stormwater-related reports.
• Proficient with the use of the following software: MS Office, BlueBeam, Autocad and ArcGIS.
• Familiarity with stormwater BMPs.
Regular - This is a part-time position.
• Ability to work in confined spaces; ability to safely and frequently move and handle objects weighing up to 50 pounds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, sitting, walking, reaching, bending, lifting.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
• Ability to work on construction sites, traverse uneven terrain including creeks (streams), and perform outfall inspections.
• Must have a criminal background check.
• Must have a driver's license check.
• May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
• Must be able to travel to other statewide facilities which may require overnight stays.
• As situation dictates, must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend