(Sr) Research Associate in Cyber
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520382
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Location: Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington
Categories: Engineering, Research / Scientific
Based on the foundation of the Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology, Virginia Tech launched the Virginia Tech National Security Institute in September 2021. With a presence in Blacksburg and the Washington, D.C., metro area, the institute aspires to be the nation's preeminent academic organization at the nexus of interdisciplinary research, technology, policy, and talent development, the national security institute will advance national security in pursuit of a secure America.
This is a research and development position that may be based in Blacksburg or Arlington, Virginia and is part of NSI’s Intelligent Systems Division (ISD). ISD brings together researchers from computer science, statistics, machine learning, systems engineering and other fields to develop interdisciplinary solutions to cutting-edge technological challenges. Successful candidates for this position will have relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: cybersecurity, cyber operations, or DoD acquisition to include research, development, test and evaluation.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
(1) Support research conducted in ISD in projects focused on cybersecurity, cyber operations, and the intersection of those two areas with other ISD research interests - including but not limited to data science, machine learning, and systems engineering
(2) Contribute to technical documents/presentations and peer-reviewed academic papers
(3) Provide mentorship to students working on programs at the graduate and undergraduate levels
• For Research Associate: An earned Master's degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, or related discipline; or an earned Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, or related discipline and significant related experience
• For Senior Research Associate: An earned Doctorate degree in systems engineering, or related discipline or an earned Masters degree in systems engineering or related discipline with significant related experience.
For both positions:
• US citizenship
• Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
• Proficiency in one or more programming languages
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing research and/or development projects
• Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience
• Active security clearance
• Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
• Experience working in an academic environment
• Experience executing on research and/or development programs supporting the federal government
Commensurate with experience
Due to the nature of our work, all candidates must be US citizens and have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend